AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   chipping engine with a tiptronic? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/chipping-engine-tiptronic-87966/)

euro_2nr 01-16-2008 10:36 AM

RE: chipping engine with a tiptronic?

1) As what I've heard even changing the code on the tranny you'll still run chances of ruining it when pushing a lot more power than it was originally built to push.
2) I don't know how much life my A6 will have since I put like 30k miles a year. I don't wanna turn a daily driver into a racecar I'd rather to it right and just get a mt that will handle the power properly without risking huge unnecessary damage.
3) I have heard of tip's getting fmic's and k04's and the whole nine yards of performance but I can imagine at least wanting to use a clutch on a car of that performance level.

I am looking right now for a 2.7 mt or a 1.8 6-mt which I'll just throw in a biaggio or garret
turbo. How do you like the 6mt 4.2? I had that car in mind for a while but I'm guessing the tranny swap is a pain. I know the 4.2 is a lot more tunable than people are aware of. Gimme ur input

formulagigi 01-16-2008 11:57 AM

YOu can go stage 3 on a tip, been done many times on S4's and A6 2.7T, but yuor tranny will definitely won't live as long which is why most end yo getting an upgraded TC/valvebody and then no issses

Baskin 4.2l 01-16-2008 02:48 PM

1 the trans code and chip are going to extend the life of the trans. As the prussure in the trans is raised and the shifting patterns are altered to stop the slippage during shifting. IMO I must have for the tip.

2 diffinently a MT is going to be more performance oriented. but in the end you are trading the money on a trans rebuild for a LWFW and a stage 3 clutch. Still the clutch is less than the trans rebuild

3 I went with the conversion for the fact I enjoy the MT

The 4.2 is coming along with the performance parts. As for the trans conversion. You really need to look at what your goal is. I am trying to make more of a statement with my car so for me I will except the investment. Performance wise the 2.7 is a different word. The 4.2 market is starting to come alive but in the end for me. you can't beat the sound of the V8 so that is where I chose to go

twinturbomew 01-16-2008 06:39 PM

2nd on adding the tip chip. the tip chip is not only good proventitive ins for the trans it helps performance.

the giac tip chip really didn't give me that night and dad difference. but I am going to be getting the vast performance one soon as I have hered that is much better

euro_2nr 01-16-2008 08:13 PM

Yeah I see what you mean baskin. I guess even my Tip does have a lot of potential and all that tip chipping sounds interesting and all but I also want to install that '07 RS6 body kit by olufsen(or w/e the brand's called-i think that might be a speaker brand :eek: ) so if im gonna buy a new A6 with the facelift I might as well get everything I want in it. In the midwest mt's are hard to find. I got 6 more months in my current 01 til its paid so that's when I'll jump into debt again. Mac n cheese dinners here I come.

joetm 01-16-2008 09:36 PM

I have a tip ... is it possible to do MT swap

formulagigi 01-16-2008 10:36 PM

Yeap! Someone on Audizine does the swaps, he is in NY

joetm 01-17-2008 04:37 PM

do you happen to have the contact info ??

R Evolution1 01-17-2008 05:18 PM

Sorry to say but the Tiptronic Transmissions (found in the 2.7T A6, Allroad, S4) are prone to Torque Converter failiure due to a faulty design in one of the seals. Even the "upgraded" TC's have no guaranty of having a seal that wont fail aswell. Even though the stock TC is robust enough for the power/torque added by the chip, its just that seal that might mess things up.

Not to get you down but a new TC install by the dealer runs at about 2-3K with a down time of about 2 days.

But in the end its a draw of the straw type of thing, some members like formulagigi have been chipped with no problems yet others expirience TC ("failure") with stock power.

euro_2nr 01-18-2008 09:26 AM

yeah tc failure has happen although its still not as common as turbo failure. In either case they will last very long as longas right maintenaince is applied and the car aint beaten on. That's why brake stands and daily launching isn't recommended. Even on a MT because then you'll need a clutch either way. I think the AT is strong enough for the A6.