Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch 2003 A6 2.7T MT6 - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear
Default Clutch 2003 A6 2.7T MT6 - need advice

I noticed just recently that underfull acceleration at high speed my tach lurches higher and then drops, and the car hesitates. I'm betting this is a symptom of a slipping clutch. I don't have any problems under normal or even moderate acceleration, just when I floor it in 6th gear at 60-70 mph.

So, I'm asking the forum for their experience and recommendations replacing the clutch in at 2.7T MT6. Did you go with an OEM or some type of competition clutch kit? What brand and supplier? How much? Any installation problems? Any performance problems? Is clutch effort the same as stock or harder? How long have you had it? Are you satisfied with the repair?

I'm trying to gather as many data points as I can so I can research this while I still have time.

2003 A6 2.7T MT6
GIAC chip, Bailey DVs, Samco TBB
K&N air filter

Old 01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Clutch 2003 A6 2.7T MT6 - need advice

I'm going to bet it's NOT the clutch (after you've got the gear engaged, why would it be playing a role?). A more likely candidate would be some sort of boost leak. First culprit to check would be your throttle body boot.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear

Southboro, I hope you're right. But when in gearthe clutch plateis engaged as the link between the engine (at the flywheel) and the transmission. The pressure plate keeps it tight to the flywheel. At least that's the way it worked in the8standard transmission cars I have owned.

Last night when I gave the car full throttle in gear 6, the engine would rev up several hundred rpm (per the tach) but the car would not accelerate. When I backed off, there was a kind of thump or lurch. So it seems the engine is spinning up but the power is not getting to the wheels. That seems to point to a clutch plate that is worn and slipping under heavy power.

I would think a boost problem would be evidenced by a lack of power when hitting the accelerator. When I had the car chipped in October, I did replace the DVs and TBB, but I will have them checked as well.

If it is the clutch plate, I'm still looking for advice from the Forum on the best heavy duty replacement. I'm wondering if the performance ceramic clutch plates are the way to go?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem, although I have never noticed it in high gear. For me when I'm shifting and going WOT I find on the shifts from 2nd to 3rd unless I let off of the throttle a little the engine just spins up and I go no-where. This happens when the clutch is fully engaged and everything! The only way to continue accelerating is to either let off the gas or wait for the clutch friction to catch up and grab. My clutch also does not engage until the very end of the pedals travel. On every other MT I have driven it has either been towards the beginning of the pedal throw, or somewhere in the middle. I don't even have a chip on my car yet so I'm hoping when I do get the chip this problem does not get exascerbated!

Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear

If I am right in my diagnosis (slipping clutch), then the chipped engine makes it worse. I have a GIAC chip. When the turbos kick in hard around 3500rpm, the tach will go right to the red line if I don't back off immediately. I'm sure that this is contributing to a worsening problem, but so far no forum advice on what performance clutch kit to buy (or avoid).

I'm still trying to figure out why/how this happened. I don't drive any differently. However, I did open it up fully a few weeks ago and at the very top end, it felt like it was surging to gain more speed and failing. I'm wondering if the high rpm and torque may have glazed the clutch plate. Of course it has 88k miles and I am the second owner, so maybe the change in driving style and the GIAC chip contributed to a premature failure.

Anyone out there - final call for advice on what performance clutch kit to buy/avoid!!!