Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather making engine slip?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold weather making engine slip?

I have an '01 A6 2.7T (V6 Bi-Turbo) Quattro and these past few mornings leaving for work (6am) when it's been about 30 degrees out (PA) I've noticed for about the first 1/4 mile or so out of my complex, it feels like my engine is slipping in power. It is like it will start to accelerate, then just give out (in the power - the car doesn't shut off!) then it regains itself...weird. Is the cold weather affecting my turbos, possibly? Has anyone else experienced this recently/in the past? This will be the first winter I own the car. (I'm sort of excited about seeing what quattro can really do!) lol :-) Thanks!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Site Moderator

More likely a torque converter problem in the tranny, you would have to check the fault codes in the TCM. It probably won't have any until it gets worse. Then again it could be a simple issue, thats what the fault codes are for.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

whats funny is the same thing happend to me this morning, first cold morning driving, but I'm in the 2.8....

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

hey i have the same exact car and the same thing happens to me every morning but i have a slipping clutch due to my manual tranny. i try to warm it up a little bit b4 i go to school but i rarely have time. and im horrible at waking up early enough to do it. =] ur car is super funn you'll have lots of good times...

Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by russian_alice
hey i have the same exact car and the same thing happens to me every morning but i have a slipping clutch due to my manual tranny. i try to warm it up a little bit b4 i go to school but i rarely have time. and im horrible at waking up early enough to do it. =] ur car is super funn you'll have lots of good times...
Assuming the car you mentioned is 2.7T you drive without warming up your turbos? even if you drive 2.8 still should be warmed up.... tisk tisk

Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

I have always had remote start on my prior cars - so I guess I never thought about manually walking outside and starting this one lol But the past few days I have warmed up the car for at least 10 mins before I leave & have had no problem whatsoever! :-) Does anywhere here have a remote start on a C5 A6? Are they harder to install on the 2.7 bi-turb?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

I dont see why not, if you can do turbo timers(which you can), I dont see why remoe start would be a problem.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 01A6Turbo
I have always had remote start on my prior cars - so I guess I never thought about manually walking outside and starting this one lol But the past few days I have warmed up the car for at least 10 mins before I leave & have had no problem whatsoever! :-) Does anywhere here have a remote start on a C5 A6? Are they harder to install on the 2.7 bi-turb?
FYI: you should always warm up your Audi because your turbos need to warm up. You also should limit your boost to not boosting at all if possible (meaning not going above 3k rpms) until the engine fully warms up and the oil temp warms also. Then after long rides let the car idle for about 3-5 mins to let your turbos cool down. Trust me you want to wake up a min earlier to warm up your car instead of paying out the butt for new turbos and labor install later on.

This is strickly a Rumor!!! but i could of sworn I read somewhere that Remote Starters on Audi's are actually bad and have been known to cause problems. Like I said I cant prove this but I read it somewhere maybe someone on here can prove me wrong? Any Audi Techs care to chime in? Ill look on the AZ and see if I can find something for you....

Last edited by Retard Riot 686; 10-31-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I do stand corrected it seems that you can run them fun. Read this thread from AudiZine... http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...t=Remote+Start one of them even mentions a kit with Turbo Timer included!!! That sounds like a good deal.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for all your inputs, guys :-) I may just keep doing the manual start 15 mins prior to leaving in the a.m...I would hate to have something such as the remote start screw up my engine/turbos and cause me problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold weather making engine slip?