Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compare your A6 to....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Compare your A6 to....

Which is more difficult for you to deal with? The price of a '05-'06 up front, considering it has a CPO warranty, or a lower price of a '02-'04 that may need certain maintenances?

Would you change your mind if you purchased an aftermarketwarranty for a few grand instead of paying $10-15k (or more) a newer CPO'd car?

In regards to mileage itself, I've seen a lot of cars with 50k miles in great condition.

Intuition tells me you are leaning for the newer car and that is ok. You can't go wrong with an Audi.Maybe you should just get the RS6!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

you can find an 04 A6 with 25 to 40k miles... and some are certified.
I also think the 04 looks better thna the new A6 but that is a matter of taste. Plus the 04 allows you a third engine choice, the 2.7T is you would like to upside of chip and such... The 4.2 is a reliable car and fairly strong V8.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Tell me about the 2.7T — others posting here seem to have it — and why is it no longer offered?

Living in the midwest, another reason i have against an older car is the inevitability of body rust. Newer is better in that crude sense. I think the older ones look nice, too, however, and may be advantageous due to not having that single ****, Star Wars control system.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:24 PM

^^Agree. The new A4's look great. They also look bigger that the older chassis. Bottom line, the A6 is the way to go. I'm taller also (6'4") with kids. And.. your wife loves it. Sometimes, that's half of the battle.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

The 2.7T is essentialy the 2.8 engine modified (thivker cyl walls) and with two small turbos. it is almost (or as)as quick as the 4.2 of the same year and is highly tunable to over 400 AWHP. Just a chip will take it to 320hp and 380 lbs TQ in 93 oct and quicker than the 4.2 with just that. Lots of aftermarket parts for it to improve power, reliability, braking, handling, looks....

Old 12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
SoCal Crew Member

When I was originally looking at Audis, I was only looking at S4s. I really like the niche cars like AMG, M, and the S and RS. Although I really like the newer ones with the v8, they were out of my price range. The S4s with the 2.7T were a little smaller and seemed to be the "tuner's choice." What it boils down to is that you can doa ton with a turbocharged car to make it even faster, i.e. re-tune ECU, bigger turbos, intercoolers etc. My problem was that I could not find an S4 near me that didn't appear abused for less than $20,000. The ones I liked were more like $24,000. Then I happened to look at A6s, figuring they would be out of my price range too. Low and behold, I picked up my Audi A6, 2.7T sport with the six speed and less than 60k miles for $16,500. What got me really excited was that it seemed like an upgraded S4! It has everything the S4 has, except it is a little bigger, though not much heavier. In my case, I prefer the bigger option.I still have all of the tuning capability as the S4 too. AND, the A6 is much more the sleeper than the S4. Most car people don't know that the A6 2.7T is in fact a 2.7TT and it is a pretty cool engine. I have been rolling around stock for the past six months and have really enjoyed the overall balance of how the car drives. That being said...

My new 710N diverter valves and Achtuning silicone TBB are coming in tomorrow. These address two weak points in the car that should be replaced when chipping. Once you chip the 2.7T, which is in my plans, you push your net to 307hp/366lb-ft on 91 ocatane (APR). That's a nice jump from stock, for around $600. I can't wait to do this, and you can only do this with the A6 2.7T. The other offerings are not nearly as tunable.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Four Ring Circus

When I was originally looking at Audis, I was only looking at S4s. I really like the niche cars like AMG, M, and the S and RS. Although I really like the newer ones with the v8, they were out of my price range. The S4s with the 2.7T were a little smaller and seemed to be the "tuner's choice." What it boils down to is that you can do a ton with a turbocharged car to make it even faster, i.e. re-tune ECU, bigger turbos, intercoolers etc. My problem was that I could not find an S4 near me that didn't appear abused for less than $20,000. The ones I liked were more like $24,000. Then I happened to look at A6s, figuring they would be out of my price range too. Low and behold, I picked up my Audi A6, 2.7T sport with the six speed and less than 60k miles for $16,500. What got me really excited was that it seemed like an upgraded S4! It has everything the S4 has, except it is a little bigger, though not much heavier. In my case, I prefer the bigger option. I still have all of the tuning capability as the S4 too. AND, the A6 is much more the sleeper than the S4. Most car people don't know that the A6 2.7T is in fact a 2.7TT and it is a pretty cool engine. I have been rolling around stock for the past six months and have really enjoyed the overall balance of how the car drives. That being said...

My new 710N diverter valves and Achtuning silicone TBB are coming in tomorrow. These address two weak points in the car that should be replaced when chipping. Once you chip the 2.7T, which is in my plans, you push your net to 307hp/366lb-ft on 91 ocatane (APR). That's a nice jump from stock, for around $600. I can't wait to do this, and you can only do this with the A6 2.7T. The other offerings are not nearly as tunable.
What kind of gas mileage do you get in an A6 powered by the 2.7T?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 PM

A stock 2.7 gets about 25mpg. Actually, the 4.2 and 2.7 are both nearly the same as far as gas mileage is concerned. IMO, the 4.2 get better mileage.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 PM

I just took a look at some specs on Cars direct because I was curious about the mileage and it also says that the 4.2 is a little better. http://www.carsdirect.com/2003/audi/a6/specs

Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM
3rd Gear

Bigsnowdog, I think you are comparing apples and oranges when you add TT into the equation. EvenA4 and A6 are a little different. Obviously, TT hawls ***. I just drove 2008 with 2.0 FSI turbo with DSG. It is no joke. But once again it is a sports car with only 2 seats. I have a 2001 A6 2.8 avant. Although I really wanted to buy a 2.7T, avant only came in 2.8. I guess for some reason I really like the wagon body style. As for the performance, 2.7T is really quick. I test drove a 4.2 as well, but Ihad more fun with the turbo than the lower end torque of a 4.2. Not to mention that if youare to chip the turbo, it is east 70+ reliable horses.

Don't be scared bya bit older models such as low 2000s. I bought mineused andgot it at a such a low price that I can literally replace the entire motor and thetranny before I catch up toa price of a newer CPO models.I hate tosay, but the depreciation on Audis are pretty steep. The good news is that itcalls for an opportunity to buy agreatcarfor a lower price by buying a resonably older model.

Also to be frank, I have to warn you that these cars are not CHEAP to maintain. And thingsWILL break down on you.If you want a reliable car, then go buy a Honda. B06 Aut it is so much nicer to drive my 2001 A6 than my wife's 06 Accord. Even my wife takes my car whenever she gets a chance.

Eithercase, good luck hunting for your new car.

Quick Reply: Compare your A6 to....