Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COMPILE A LIST OF PREVENTATIVE MEASURES

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear
Default COMPILE A LIST OF PREVENTATIVE MEASURES

lets compile a list of preventative measures to preserve our cars... what habits have you adopted? have you stopped making full U turns to preserve yourCV boots? how about releasing your break and switching to your hand break after a hard stop to keep from warping your disks? of course you let your car idle for a few minutes before shutting off after a good run... but do you also change your oil after only 5K?? what do you do?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: compile a list of preventative measures

I park in my garage. I also have a sun visor. This keeps the sun off my car. I park away from ugly cars to minimize door dings. I park away from trees and wires to avoid sap and bird droppings. I pretty much only drive a bit on weekends. This keeps the miles low. I drive in Southern California, so no snow or salt gets on my car. I wash and regulary wax my car and treat the leather and interior. This keeps it clean. I perform routine maintenance and keep detailed records. This keeps it running. That's about it for me.The turbo care tips are priceless.Basic warm up and cool down is essential for long life.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear

some are repeats form above
park inside or cover
carefully chose parking spots (surounding cars, trees...)
very strict regular maintenance I don't follow the 10k miles oil chnages interval. I dio every 5k miles and only use the best oils
Only use specialized indy shops
warm up engine beffre pushing it
cool off before turning it off
always put on handbrake before putting it in Park, especiallywhen parkedatan incline
careful mod selection
regular wash
try to drive my jeep a few days a week to save miles on Audi
Never get gas in a cheap discuont gas station. I only get Shell 93 actually or sometimes 100 race gas from petroexpress/texaco

Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear

Gigi covered almost everything. I change my oil after every 3k miles.It is not required, but have always been like this, so can't help. Uses 93oc, only let my dealertouch it, and never went to those auto car-wash, cleans/wax myself, always replaced parts with genuineAudioem.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Great thread by the way, glad to see that others are **** about their cars, but anyway to add a few: fuel system cleaners evey now an then, rain-x for superior visibility, bosch blades, cleaning of the throttle body, little taseful blaupunkt sub to preserve stock components and keep them sounding tight, avioding potholes and minimal sudden hard acceleration and breaking. And remember, (since most are enter the cold winter season), let the engin fully warm up before any kind of high RPMs.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

These are some great ideas, many of which I do without being conscious that im doing it.

I however only use oem parts when its really necessary... is there really a difference?? does it really matter with hoses and spark plugs?? come'on now!! ???

I also keep a small microfiber cloth for my mirors, interior chrome, and dash. I keep a small detail brush in the car for the little grooves.Ijust found a gelfor the interior from armour-all that works greatfor some minor touch ups on the plastics.... i use it whilst sitting at a light or waiting for the car to warm-up.

anymore idiosyncratic methods please don't be embarrased to share.....

Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

I have a small electric power washer and hot and cold water in my garage, I like to keep the underside of my car as nice as the body,Tire air pressure ,I think we should also talk about not changing the oil to soon, I change mine at 5-k

Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

Zurn, 5-6K is right. I change it after 3K, which is not bad either, as I have been doing it ever since I started having cars. Like to see the golden oil coming from my engine without turning black. I have to feel confident about my car, so along with 3K oil change, I change my battery every 2 yrs, and tyres every 20K. It is expensive and unnecessary, but it buys me a mental comfort.

Armour All...hmmm...I have seen that product at Walmart, and Target, but never used it. I only use Zainos http://www.zainostore.com/, and very satisfied with it, previously, I have used Meguiars, which was also all right.

Believe me, OEM parts are very important for these cars. It is not a Honda or a Toyota. Hell, I won't even buy a bolt if it is not OEM. Well, that's a little too much

Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear

Heated Garage
Weekly handwashes
Monthly hand waxes
Treat leather every 6 months + full interior detail. Full interior wipe down at every wash.
3k oil changes
10k air filter change
Fuel System Cleaner every oil change
Religious routine maintenance (as required by dealer)
Keep all reciepts for everything, including stuff from Auto Parts Store.
I let the SAP finish running before I take off on cold starts.
Always set handbrake before putting in park (goes for all cars)
Every 6 months clean bottom of battery tray and sunroof track (prevents those pesky leaks you read about)
10k tire rotations
Avoid rough roads and potholes
Always close sunroof when car is parked
Always use all power sun shades (rear, sides) and install one in Windshield on SUnny days
Never park near trees or light poles (birds, sap)
Always park in end spots or near other performance vehicles (prevents dings)
Always kick my shoes off before entering if I have been in dirt or gravel etc.
Lay sheet over leather when dirty clothes are on.
Always make sure hands are clean before operating vehicle.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

Change the battery every 2 years. Worth the$100 or so.

I once had a battery of unknown age leak in my 911. It was one of the worst experinces of my life. I would lay awake at night wondering if I had gotten all the sulfuric acid.

Quick Reply: COMPILE A LIST OF PREVENTATIVE MEASURES