Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Purchasing Audi A6- HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Default Considering Purchasing Audi A6- HELP PLEASE!

Hey all! I'm currently looking to buy a used car under $10,000...and I'm definitely considering this 1999 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Sedan....
I'm a college student, pretty much broke, this is a huge purchase for me...and my only concern is that the car will poop out on me or have way too many problems.
I'm deathly afraid of constant costly repairs/breakdowns!
The car has 93,000 miles.
Basically I need a car (preferably a hot one like this auto) that will last me 3-4 years at least (i drive about 15-20,000 miles a year; so max 80,000 more miles) with minimal costs! Will the '99 A6 fufill my needs? Or do they have a history of little quirks after a certain period of time/# of miles?

Thanks for all your time & help, I appreciate it!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Considering Purchasing Audi A6- HELP PLEASE!

If your strapped for cash after buying a car you do not need an audi. Go buy something to get you through school. By an audi after you graduate and get a good paying job...Get the hint.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Dido...

Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

Yup!
Audi is not for you.
spend 10k on a Honda or Toyota, even a used Mazda 6.
Good luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

The car he's looking at isn't worth 10 grands, though, right? He can save some for repair, . But I will agree, he should probably buy something else. Not a honda/toyota though, I think. Those used cars are way too over-priced. At this budget, he is going to run into the very unreliable honda tranmissions and toyota sludge monster.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM

I agree. Start with a Honda or a Toyota, get through school and once you are out, treat yourself to a late model Audi !!!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

While not the cool car you may be looking for, for $10k, can't you get into one of those smaller Hyundias (SP?) or that Chevy Aveo? While not cool, you will have a warranty for at least 3 years w/the Chevy and 10 with the Hy.

You are young (I am guessing since you are in collage) I am 36 and didn't get my Audi until last Aug. I drove a Sentra before that, and a Chevy S-10 before that. You'll have a lifetime to earn $$ to spend on a nice car.

If you go for the luxo car now, you may end up w/a lifetime of maxed out credit cards trying to keep it on the road.

One thing I learned when I was 19-23, girls didn't care what kind of wheels I had, as long as the car ran. I had friends w/older luxos that broke down all the time and often left them stranded.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: muphasta

While not the cool car you may be looking for, for $10k, can't you get into one of those smaller Hyundias (SP?) or that Chevy Aveo? While not cool, you will have a warranty for at least 3 years w/the Chevy and 10 with the Hy.

You are young (I am guessing since you are in collage) I am 36 and didn't get my Audi until last Aug. I drove a Sentra before that, and a Chevy S-10 before that. You'll have a lifetime to earn $$ to spend on a nice car.

If you go for the luxo car now, you may end up w/a lifetime of maxed out credit cards trying to keep it on the road.

One thing I learned when I was 19-23, girls didn't care what kind of wheels I had, as long as the car ran. I had friends w/older luxos that broke down all the time and often left them stranded.

Good luck.
LOL, thats not true, now days girls are into cars now,they like chrome wheels.....and Civics LOL,and kats that dress nice.

If you want adecent sporty car the size of the A6, get a Maxima, they're fast andrun for ever. You can get a 1999 for around $8k. and still have money for a Phat Farm or Rocawear outfit.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 PM
3rd Gear

This is from a guy the had Alfa Romeo's when in college.

I agree with most everyone else. Audi's are fantastic but not for the fincially strapped, conservative,or faint hearted.

Additionally - $10,000 for a 99 A6is a bit steep unless it is a perfect or special edition machine. My quess is that with 93K showing on the OD it is neither.

Find a good - reliable - not too popular car and you'll do fine. The Hynundai, Saturn, Mazda, etc of the world were made for guys like you. They cost less to repair, are reliable,andless suseptible to being borrowed by someone you don't know. Additionally the insuranance is lower.

PS The guys are right - The prices for the popular used Honda, Toyota, etc are too high.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:42 PM

You do not want to touch that Audi at $10K and with 93,000 miles
This is why. The car is not worth $10K. it is probable worth $8 K at most . It will cost a fortune to maintain. These are highly engineered cars. If you can afford to buy one, you can affort to maintain them. I will need brakes all round and a bunch of other things.

Looking at a Toyota, Honda or Nissan is difficult in this price range because they are highly sought after, go quick and are over priced.
Since JD powers has rated Buick better than Camry, do yourself a favor and look at a 2000 or 2001 Buick Century in the $5,000 to $7,000 price range with LOW miles.

They have the power, the size and the luxury you will have looked for in the A6.
In addition, these are owned by an older population who drive little miles put little wear on the car, and the cars run forever.
They are cheap on parts too and easy to work on.

A buick Century is the best kept secret on the planet.

Do not get me wrong. I love my Audi's along with their constant maintenance history, but for my teenage daughetr getting ready for college there was no better buy than the Buick. We got a 2001 car with 59,000 miles in great shape for $5,500... and she loves it.
and
So do I.

PS. Don't even ask me about the troubles I have had with my A6 and A4, both bought from new.

Quick Reply: Considering Purchasing Audi A6- HELP PLEASE!