Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Used A6 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Default Considering Used A6 2.7t

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a used A6 2.7t, to be used as the second family car (just one kid on the way!). I actually used to own a 2006 S4 (V8), and got rid of it a couple of years ago to downgrade to a new GTI (wanted to save a little $ to buy a house, start a family, etc..., and was able to sell it for a bit more than I owed the bank). Love the GTI, but want a slightly bigger turbo sedan that I can chip. I dont want to spend a ton of money, but these two cars have my eye right now:

(1) 2004 A6 2.7t for $8500, 96k miles. If not chipped, I would chip it and install downpipes... leading to a stage 2 car. Total cost would be maybe $1000-1500, but maybe another $1k if I also need to replace the timing belt. A little worried about the turbos failing (would check this before buying), and then having to spend another $6k to replace them (tho it would make for a faaast car!)

(2) 2000 A6 2.7t for only $3900, BUT 195k miles! With this car, I would just assume I would have to replace the timing belt and turbos, etc... That is, Im assuming I would have to put another $6k into it fairly soon, but then it could be a pretty hot car.

So what do you all think? Option 1 seems like the safer route, yet Option 2 is sooo cheap and would allow me to upgrade to a k04 turbo kit, etc... But Im still worried about the high miles on both.

Thanks,

Christian

Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

bump anyone (I know Im being impatient!).

I found another 2.7T to consider, which may strike a balance between the other options: 2003 A6 2.7T with 144k miles for $5500 (probably can get them down to $5k even).

This seems like a very intriguing option. If the carfax checks out, and if I cna get full service records (big if), then I can get this car cheap and immediately replace the timing belt, water pump, etc... My only worry is that the turbos may not be long for the world, which would mean another 6k or so. Any other things to look out for?

Is buying a high mileage audi 2.7T a death wish?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Ultimately you will have to make the decision for yourself.

Read the sticky about tips for the 2.7T owner.

Keep in mind what I tell people about my car:

"Own it for a week and you will absolutely love it. Own it for a month and your opinion will be completely different."

Don't get my wrong, I love my car, but every so often (way too often) it does something that requires that I spend time and money that I didn't anticipate. I have enough of both and I do my own repairs and maintenance. It just seems that the timing for the repairs is always bad.

-end rant

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks. Ive obsessively read the stickies, and I feel (somewhat) comfortable with buying a 2003 A6 2.7t for 5 grand, and then immediately shelling out another $2 to 6k to replace the timing belt ,water pump, fuel pump, turbos possibly, etc (all the recommended replacements in the New 2.7t sticky)...

Im just trying to gauge how reliable it will be after putting in another $6k of replaced parts/upgrades. If its minor things that I can wrench myself, then thats cool and worth it to have such a rare combination of power, luxury and awd stability (I live in upstate NY, so need awd). But if I may end up investing another $10k into it on top of new turbos, timing belt, etc..., then I may have to step away...far away

A wrx would likely be more reliable, with decent performance and awd handling, but I just cant bring myself to drive such a gawdawful ugly bug eyed montrocity.

Another consideration is an audi A3, but they are only front wheel drive, and it doesnt seem u can get as much out of them from modding.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

I believe it is not so much the high mileage as it is the abuse and lack of regular maintenance. I have just over 170k on mine, mostly highway driving. I avoid potholes and jackrabbit starts. I replaced alternator, clutch/flywheel (soon after chipping it), and front axle boots. Running oem battery, suspension, exhaust, etc. Front headlight washers leaked and were sealed, and temperature reads in Centigrade. Rear window sticks in the winter. Everything else works. I have no reservation about driving it from SW Michigan to Saratoga Springs in 2 weeks, then again in August plus a trip to Tallahasse the same month. It just eats up the road. If the turbos go, I am considering the $4-5k K04 upgrade as well. I paid $28k in 2005 for a car with a $48k sticker. Nicest car I ever owned. Plan to keep it indefinitely. I suggest having it checked out thoroughly by someone who knows A6s. Good luck.