Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arms..A6...New Member

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Control Arms..A6...New Member

Hello All..
I am officially brand new to this site as of today. I am in the process of looking for my first Audi right now. However, to help get me in the world of Audi, I am toying with taking on a project a friend has asked me to handle for him. He has recently bought a used A6, and apparently wants his control arms replaced. I am unsure whether it is all controls arms, uppers, lowers, tie rods, etc.... That I will find out, however, my question is based on how tough a job this is. I am very mechanically inclined and have worked on MANY cars. But, this would be a first for an Audi.

1. Any "special tools" needed? ... I do have a full garage, so, the basics and full tool sets are owned... Specialty is what I am asking about here...
2. Are there any parts diagrams, service manual downloads, or anything available through this forum? ... I have been a part of many forums, and know info like this is usually readily available.
3. If a potential job, do I HAVE to put it up on a lift? Can I do it with a jack and jack stands outside my garage?

Otherwise, any info would be great on this topic...
Thanks for the read, and i hope I can join all you owners VERY soon!!

Michael H.
Mobile, AL
USA

Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Default RE: Control Arms..A6...New Member

Very detailed & complete DIY here:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml
I did mine a couple months ago along with swaybars, wheel bearings and brakes.
You'll also find a ton of info here:
http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#suspension

Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

SORRY, I AM NOT SHOUTING, MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK!!!

YOU CAN DO IT. WHAT I WOULD DO IS GET SOME SUPER PENETRANT AND SQUIRT ALL THE NUTS AND BOLTS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND LET IT DO ITS WORK. WHEN THE TIME COMES TO DO THE JOB, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY SEIZED BOLTS. I ALSO WOULD REMOVE THE ENTIRE STRUT BECAUSE WHEN AUDI ASSEMBLES THEM NEW, THEY PUT THE BOLT IN, IN A WAY THAT YOU CANNOT GET THEM OUT, THE WHEELWELL GETS IN THE WAY. I JUST DID MINE ABOUT A MONTH AGO. THE SUPER PENETRANT MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER! GOOD LUCK!

OOOO

Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everybody! I have done a bunch of research already, and it looks like I will probably do the job myself. Daroshi, thanks for the links. They look like they will provide some great info throughout the process...

WooHoo.. Audi, Here I come!!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear

If you hit shift with the caps lock on the letters go lower case.