Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temp sensor Location 2001 A6 2.7 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Default Coolant temp sensor Location 2001 A6 2.7 Turbo

Can someone please give me an idea of where the coolant temp sensor is located on a 2001 Audi A6 with 2.7 twin turbo engine? I have done a lot of looking with a trouble light and can't seem to spot it...
Also while I was looking around I saw a small round black canister in the area below the coolant reservoir that seemed to have a small amount of seepage from it that appeared to be coolant...Does anyone have a guess as to what this is called and what it does???? Thank You!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coolant temp sensor Location 2001 A6 2.7 Turbo

The coolant temp sender is located in the back of the motor - passenger side. You'll have to remove your intake tubing from the "Y pipe" in order to get to it.
Good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coolant temp sensor Location 2001 A6 2.7 Turbo

When you buy the replacement sensor, make sure you get a new clip, too. They almost always break when you pull the old one out. I bought an extra one (for 40 cents it was worth it) when I bought the sensor and it worked out well because I dropped the first one and never found it.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EnviedA6
The coolant temp sender is located in the back of the motor - passenger side. You'll have to remove your intake tubing from the "Y pipe" in order to get to it.
Good luck
I guess I am an idiot because I can not find it with just back of motor passenger side... Does anyone have a picture?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear

Nobody's perfect, at least you recognize it.

Google -> "Audi coolant temperature sensor replacement":

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng47.shtml

Hope this helps.

BTW: There was a recall on CTS...

Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Still cannot locate temperature sensor A6 2.7T

I still don't see in the referenced diagram that this is a 2.7T engine. I don't see this type of sensor. I looked and looked from several parts companies and the part I found is green to replace one that was blue and has a flat head with no nipple and looks somewhat different (green) with 4 pin connector. My mechanic replaced the part I got which was somewhere below the timing belt, but the gauge still does not register but a small fraction above "Cold".

This is the part I replaced:

Might there be another one? Might it require a computer reset or disconnect battery to let the computer reset? The needle barely moves from "C" but it does move some. It used to point straight up at "12", but the just went out.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Aparently there is another sensor at the front of the engine near the radiator. The mechanic replaced that one which didn't fix the problem. Finally found it with the aid of the picture somone posted.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
1st Gear
Question

Originally Posted by EnviedA6
Good luck
I know this is a old post. I searched yahoo for the same problem as the guy who had the original post. I looked for the sensor and could not find it...Inside the engine I dont know what I'm looking for. Can anyone direct me to a picture of what I'm looking for?

Also, I have a 2004, it should look the same right?

Last edited by Mathermaticz; 03-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

nemohm wrote:
Nobody's perfect, at least you recognize it.

Google -> "Audi coolant temperature sensor replacement"

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng47.shtml

Hope this helps.

BTW: There was a recall on CTS...
Just like them, I'm also having difficulty locating my coolant temp. sensor... I tried to Google it but still can't search the exact info i needed... well by the way, thanks for sharing the link..

Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

Back side of passenger side head between the head and the firewall.

Quick Reply: Coolant temp sensor Location 2001 A6 2.7 Turbo