Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank no start help.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Crank no start help.

So I am new to Audi's. I just bought a 2002 A6 2.7T auto all wheel drive. Has 95,000 miles. The car had a check engine light and I was told it had at least two bad coils. So I replaced all the plugs and coils. Car started up and ran great. Drove the car around town several stops (restarted no problem). I parked the car over night and the next morning it would not start. I did check the CTS it is the green one, also it does try to run if I use starting fluid.
1. How do I check the fuel pressure (can't see a Schrader valve on the fuel rail.)
2. Where are fuel pump fuse(s)
3. How do I test the fuel pump and how do I get to it (drop tank?)
I do not have a way to pull codes on this car.
Thanks

Last edited by wshymas; 12-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wshymas
So I am new to Audi's. I just bought a 2002 A6 2.7T auto all wheel drive. Has 95,000 miles. The car had a check engine light and I was told it had at least two bad coils. So I replaced all the plugs and coils. Car started up and ran great. Drove the car around town several stops (restarted no problem). I parked the car over night and the next morning it would not start. I did check the CTS it is the green one, also it does try to run if I use starting fluid.
1. How do I check the fuel pressure (can't see a Schrader valve on the fuel rail.)
2. Where are fuel pump fuse(s)
3. How do I test the fuel pump and how do I get to it (drop tank?)
I do not have a way to pull codes on this car.
Thanks
Find a way to get the codes and make life easy. Borrow a reader or buy one or you're going to be searching in the dark. You can check fuel pressure by pulling the hose off the rail and see if you get any when someone else turns the ignition switch on. I think the fuse is in the panel on the left side of the dash which you can access with the driver's door open. Pry the cover off and there is a fuse diagram on the back of the panel. If you replace the fuse and it blows again you have a problem in the pump I would guess. Not a really fun job to drop the tank.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Huskerbob. Here is what I have done. I was able to pull codes with a generic obd2 scanner P0300 (random miss fire). Checked the fuse on the drivers side of the dash #28 it is okay. Found the fuel pump under the rear seat and used a test light to check for power. I only can get power on the green w/yellow stripe (#1 on the plug) only when cranking. So next I removed the fuel line and installed a pressure gauge. Turned the key and did not see any pressure on the guage. Even tried cranking with the hose off and no fuel came out. So I am going to try a new pump. I will update when done. Thanks

Last edited by wshymas; 12-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wshymas
Thanks Huskerbob. Here I what I have done. I was able to pull codes with a generic obd2 scanner P0300 (random miss fire). Checked the fuse on the drivers side of the dash #28 it is okay. Found the fuel pump under the rear seat and used a test light to check for power. I only can get power on the green w/yellow stripe (#1 on the plug) only when cranking. So next I removed the fuel line and installed a pressure gauge. Turned the key and did not see any pressure on the guage. Even tried cranking with the hose off and no fuel came out. So I am going to try a new pump. I will update when done. Thanks
Well that was easy. I hope the new pump does the trick for you.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Installed the pump and did my leak check I could not feel or hear the pump only a few bad words slipped out. Then after the third key cycle I hit the starter and the car said VROOM.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Crank no start help

It sounds like you have a natural safety switch problem, better yet I would think faulty ignition switch. If the car is having problems shifting out of park or between gears it's a linkage issue .However if the starter is engaging when you use the key then it does see that it is in park if it won't turnover when you try to start it then in your case it doesn't think that you truly are in park therfore your neutral safety switch is preventing you from starting your car. I would look at the ignition switch first especially if the problem is intermittent.