Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom subwoofer box for A6 C5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Custom subwoofer box for A6 C5?

Hi, I have two 12" alpine type Rs, and I am looking for a subwoofer box that intergrates seemlessly w/. my a6. I want it to look nice and not just throw a sub box in the trunk. But I also want it to be acoustically pleasing and sound good... does anyone know of anything that might work for me?

Even if it just fits one 12" that would work two. 2x12 would be preferred though, but i can live with one.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Custom subwoofer box for A6 C5?

you'll probably be better off going to the local audio dealership and having a custom box made that will "seamlessly integrate" into your car.

Especially if you want a custom box that doesn't look like a box wrapped in cheap carpet.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

bump, im curious too....

Blake.. 2 x 12" isn't that a bit much?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

No.. I dont like driving subs hard. I prefer clarity over loudness. So I prefer two 12" subs being used at like 70% over one 12" that is being pushed 120%

Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=168

Thats kinda like what I want, but unfortunately JL doesnt offer one for audi. And getting one made custom seems expensive. I would make one myself, but I dont feel ill do a good enough job to be worthy of my audi, lol.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM

well you can do it yourself, but how handy are you two? if you have access to tools and can buy a box or two individual boxs and screw them to gether all you got to do is use cardboard to make a frame. your going to have to put stilts under the box to raise it 3 inches atleast, then get a big piece of cardboard and cut out the box(s). now start trimming the card board in the trunk and get it to become the shape of the trunk, now once thats done you have a template. so now you trace the template to 1/4 inch mdf and cut it out, now you have a frame to screw flush with the box(s), all thats left is the carpet or what ever you want use wrap the frame and mount it to the box and your done.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

If you have a local shop, go there and ask what it will cost. Asking is free.

Better yet, if you have any friends who have either worked as an installer or have friends or family who've done install work, ask them to make you a box on the side.

Installers can make projects on the side and offer you a better price while at the same time make more $$ themselves.

I used to sell the stuff and I was witness to some amazing custom fiberglass boxes. Those are amazing, but they were painted to match the car, not wrapped in carpet.

MDF is a perfectly fine medium to use as an enclosure, fiberglass just gives you more custom options.

I agree w/you on the 2 - 12" subs @ 70% rather than 1 @ 120%!

You'd be surprised at how many installers would be willing to do a side job for you.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM

oh u want a stealth box, wow thats going to cost you. i can tell you from experience fiberglass isnt hard but time consuming so your going to pay alot for it. if you are willing to try yourself pm me and ill give you some info and a title of a book that could help.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: blakegaston

No.. I dont like driving subs hard. I prefer clarity over loudness. So I prefer two 12" subs being used at like 70% over one 12" that is being pushed 120%
that's a good point! i haven't figured out my system set up yet. i am going to install the ipod kit below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...ayphotohosting

i've decided to keep the stock symphony head unit... and will add subs which im hoping the additionalbasswill clear-up the stock speakers. what config. are you going to use? also, for those of you out there who have kept the stock and used a sub like i plan to do... how did you modify the (hidden) eq settings?

2 12"s a? ... ill give it some thought

Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear

I will have two concerns before I will reach the fit and finish of this mod.

How much will it weigh? I have seen dual 12" sub-boxes that are more than 70Lbs.

Second, what amplifier you are planning to use? A good sub is useles if u don't have enough power to pump it up.

Having said that, I am quiet satisfied with my Bose. I think, when I was 22, the idea of having the audio system was different. Now at 29, I only care about the quality of sound, not much about shaking the car next to me on the traffic light with my bass. Believe me, I have done that.

Quick Reply: Custom subwoofer box for A6 C5?