Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Axle Replacement DIY Assitance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear
Default CV Axle Replacement DIY Assitance

Happy Friday everyone!

I need to replace both front CV axles, the boots are torn and it has a nasty crunching sound. 2002 Audi A6 3.0l Quattro

I was looking at purchasing the replacement parts online, and was curious if this is something that a guy with some tools could do in a parking lot or if the vehicle needed to be taken to a garage?

Any insight would be appreciated!

PS: Is it rude if I bring parts to an auto repair shop and ask them to replace it, instead of buying the parts through them, which I assume are inflated prices?

Pics included (warning, blurry pics)

http://imgur.com/a/inR6P

Last edited by gahndai; 04-08-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Pic issues - copy pasta the link
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 PM
3rd Gear

Provided it doesn't rain, you can do the job anywhere outdoors. There are some good DIY write-ups (articles) on AudiWorld.com:
- Whole Halfshaft
- Boot/Joint
- Joint/Boot
Some places do replacements with your own parts, some others probably don't. We have a free market: it is nothing rude about asking a shop if it will do it for you, or not. If they need business, they'll do it. If they don't need your business, they'll probably say "only with their parts"...
Do it yourself or find a shop that does it on your terms.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

chefro, thanks you for the links!

Someone suggested replacing the whole half shaft since the boots been torn for awhile, is this solid reasoning?

And lastly, I assume that the whole half shaft guide you provided for the B5 is pretty universal?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

I'm going to do the same replacement on my a6 in about 1 month. I've also heard multiple times it is ok just to do the cv boot however there are some things to consider:
1. How long has the boot been torn? If for a longer time, you are running risk of having more damage to the axle and dirt in it.
2. Do you like to deal with real nasty grease? I've been told that is the toughest grease you come across and most people don't like to deal with it.
3. Finally the costs part. A complete assembly runs you around 70-140 bucks per side depending on where you purchase it. I personally will pay the extra bucks and not have to deal with 1.+2.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear

Gahndai,
you have a C5 - upper and lower control arms, so that write-up should serve you good even if it was written by a guy with a B5.

As far as what to replace, it is pretty much up to you. As sheldon said it, you need to figure out what you'd rather do: bolt off/bolt on, or going through the whole extra work of pulling the joint out and dealing with all that grease.
By the way, you can find the part numbers for yourself and then look for them on sites like genuinevwaudiparts.com, ecstuning.com, etc, etc.
Keep in mind that even at the dealer the prices for just the joint are much higher than a whole halfshaft... yepp, even genuine stuff.
When I replaced mine (cheap bastid with a "cheap" C4), I purchased aftermarket halfshafts that were direct fit (EMPI brand), which although were only $ 78/piece came with lifetime warranty.
Had no trouble whatsoever in over 14,000 miles (2 years) and the boots still look perfect.
Needless to say that your options are virtually limitless in terms of what you can find to buy and match that with what your Audi heart desires.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the assistance.

I would replace just the boot but it been torn for awhile and im pretty sure there is plenty of nastyness stuck up in there, and the clacking noise when turning hard left and right.

I will be shopping around for the parts and see if I can get a buddy to do the work haha!

Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

I did both cv axles on my 99 A6 in my driveway in about 2 hours. Look at NAPA I got both complete half shafts for less than $100 with 3 year warranty.....

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear

Replace the axles. You will need the special triple square inverse sockets for the bolts that hold the axle to the transmission (10 mm IIRC).

Also, if you run into any issue with the pinch bolt, leave it alone and remove the lower control arms from the frame. You have to drop the subframe an inch on one side to get the rear bolt out but this is easier than drilling out a broken pinch bolt!

Bob

Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Hello everyone.

I am looking to replace my front axles on my vehicle in my signature below. I had a blown outer driver side boot. I went to replace it but after re-assembling found out too late I was sent the wrong outer boot. I decided I am going to replace the axle assemblies instead because it is such a pain in the *** to do the boots on one axle.

I am looking at these parts on autopartswarehouse.com.
Audi A4 Axle Assembly - Auto Parts Warehouse

Is EMPI a decent brand? I don't want to buy from geniuneauidparts.com because the axles for my vehicle are $500 a piece.

I am also looking here (034 MOTORSPORT) but I think they are the same as the ones on autopartswarehouse.

Please help. I need to replace these in the next few days. (I had to make the wrong size boot fit by cutting it so I could drive to work.)

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

I bought mine from Raxles and have been very happy with them so far. Total for both sides was somewhere around 450 (incl. shipping). He charges a core charge so that you return the old ones but if you do it within 2 weeks you won't be charged at all.

You also get the tool (bit/head) delivered that you have to return but it makes it so much easier.

Quick Reply: CV Axle Replacement DIY Assitance