Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Boot kit - Which brand to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Default CV Boot kit - Which brand to get?

My outer CV boots are cracked and need to be replaced. The cheapest part I found is here for ~$15:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...V%20Boot%20Kit

Another more expensive part is here:
http://www.car-stuff.com/exclusives/...6-cv_boot.html
for $25

And it looks like I need 2 of them.

Is there any difference in the quality of the parts? Is there a better brand I am not aware of that everyone swears by?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

This is for a 2002 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0

Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Search this topic. If the boots are torn badly you may want to consider replacing the axles all together.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

They are just cracked for now, so I don't think that will be necessary. But I'll ask my mechanic anyway. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

If you have a build up of grease on the inner wheels I would swap out the axles, cheaper in the long run.

I had torn boots and grease caked on the inner wheels my mechanic recommended I changed out the axles, explaining damage could have been caused to the joints/knuckles.

All plausible if you think about it. Road dirt and grim mix into the lubricant deleting lubrication and increasing friction.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

I think you just got tricked LOL. I am sorry but don't listen to that... basiclly what you are saying is that whenever you have a torn CV-boot you should replace the axel.... Your mechanic is a moron I am sorry. A audi master tech would geek out at you... unless you were driving around for a couple months with it torn. You will know when you need a new axle trust me. Repair the CV boot and you will be good to go. Replace as quick as possible... Check every month or so on the CV-boots for dmg and you will be fine

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

I also heard if your tierod ends are bad you should replace the whole front end!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Where exactly are the CV Boots located so I can visually inspect them.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

if you turn the wheel all the way you might be able to see where it is torn... or just jack up 1 wheel at a time and look behind the wheel.. It is pretty easy to see. It is about a 2-3hr job.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wammy18
I think you just got tricked LOL. I am sorry but don't listen to that... basiclly what you are saying is that whenever you have a torn CV-boot you should replace the axel.... Your mechanic is a moron I am sorry. A audi master tech would geek out at you... unless you were driving around for a couple months with it torn. You will know when you need a new axle trust me. Repair the CV boot and you will be good to go. Replace as quick as possible... Check every month or so on the CV-boots for dmg and you will be fine
Really? Do you know how to interpret a statement? Obviously not. If you go back and read it word for word (remember 3rd grade it couldn't have been that long for you, judging by your poor choice of words) then think about what those words mean, you will see that I said, "I had grease caked in the inner wheels"...hinting to the fact, that this was not a tear but a severed boot, hence, possibly causing damage to the axle. I also phrased the question of whether or not there is grease build up in audi_sf's wheels.

This forum is here to help people not to bash other members because you have trouble comprehending there terminology.

So 60 mph at 5000 rpms is normal. Yeah! I would take advice from this guy

Quick Reply: CV Boot kit - Which brand to get?