Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Number and Misfire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Cylinder Number and Misfire Questions

I have a 2003 A6 - 3.0 CVT.

Does anyone know what the cylinder numbers are on the car? If I open the hood and look down .. what is the first cylinder number to the left. I am trying to figure out which cylinder number is one. What about subsequent cylinders? I tried to search online but all I can find is "firing order". I also tried to find a Haynes or Chiltons but they are not out yet.

The reason I am asking, I have a misfire on my car. My ODB II pulled a code P0301. Now I get the distinct pleasure of figuring out exactly what is wrong - fuel, ignition or spark. I want to start with the cylinder that is "misfiring" first. I did do the following - bought new spark plugs and gapped them to .044. I am thinking of just replacing them all anyway. If I have to, I will replace all the spark coils.

Symptoms are as follows -
- Car just started idling bad at low speed/low RPM's yesterday for no reason. First time occurrence.
- Car made it back home (22 Miles). At higher speeds/RPMs, car ran smooth and no noticeable power loss.
- Got car home, popped the hood, smelled of burnt fuel. Looked behind engine and it was glowing red where one of the O2 sensors connect (downstream 02?).

Yes, I did read about other "misfires" in earlier posts - so I did do some research here first.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Cylinder Number and Misfire Questions

I think the front passenger side is number 1 and it is odd on that side and even on the drivers side.

Check your spark plug wires for oil from leaking valve cover gaskets.
I recently had a similar problem and that was the cause.