Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard Cluster Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Dashboard Cluster Swap

I'm thinking about buying a used instrument cluster to replace my AVANT cluster that has faded LED and broken temp and gas gauges. I don't want to pay the $800 for AUDI to do it for me. Has anyone done this fix? I can't find a manual on the cluster removal, and need to know if I have to take the dashboard apart. Is this a nasty job? Some advice please.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dashboard Cluster Swap

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/

Old 06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks!!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:08 AM

Where exacty did you go, I want to swap by dashboard ... I know it will be n interesting job ... any idea how to start ? Proceedure ?
THanks,
P

Old 04-07-2006, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

Hey P,
I had a lot of success replacing and resettting the new cluster.
I followed this website to the letter:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_84039/m.../tm.htm#249370

Good Luck!

Joe

Old 05-24-2006, 10:15 PM

Were you able to repair the cluster ? or you just swapped it? My top part of the cluster LED not working.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

I just swapped it. I think the cluster is mostly unrepairable.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:53 AM

Joe, what is that link again to reseting the cluster. I got a cluster from Germany, its in German but I guess I have to go to the dealer for and get it re-programmed there for my VIN spec. How did you reset your cluster by the way ? Is it true that the car will not start is a different cluster is installed ?
Thanks, P

Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 AM
1st Gear

Wow! I forgot where that link is, but it is inside Audi Forums somewhere. It has all the info on resetting the cluster.
You need to get a Vag-Com cable. I recently sold my Audi A6, so I have a cable on hand.

My cluster was from Canada, in metric. There is a HUGE problem with foreign clusters. Its not that they don't work, its just that the speedometer in in km. If you can read km, no problem. Problem is, if you can't, you just cannot replace the plastic faceplate to the cluster. It revs different in km than miles. I found out the hard way.

I had no problem installing, resetting, and starting the car. It was doing km to mph claculations in my head that was tough!

Good Luck,

Joe

Old 05-25-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Here is a post on replacing with a NEW cluster. You will need a VAG COM, and front some money to buy the new cluster, but you get some back (core charge) when you trurn in your old cluster at the dealer. I think the going rate now is about $500 or so net.

If you have the immobilizer, I do not think you can do the cluster swap without the dealer's help in programming.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Cluster Swap