Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead pixels at multifunction display.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Dead pixels at multifunction display.

Hmm, i got missing some "lines" at my multifunction display. Is any way to do repair?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Dead pixels at multifunction display.

You have to replace the enitre instrument cluster. Most of the time you can find a used one, which is quite a bit cheaper. Check www.shokan.com and http://www.4usedaudiparts.com/

Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
SSn
1st Gear

No offence to anyone but I'll try to take the old one out first and take a look at it before replacing the whole thing.

Don't know how this lcd is made, but I fixed the same problem in a Sony CD player once. That LCd had many contacts soldered to the main board in a faceplate and with time some got loose and broke off. So I resolderet every single contact and it is as new again.

I understand this lcd is more complicated, but, looking inside will not hurt.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:22 PM

let us know how it goes when you look into it..... Of course I have the same issue....

Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

hmm, thats the disease of all audi.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Same thing is happening to my 99 A6. For those of you with more experience with this, how bad does it get? I am only missing a few "lines" right now as well.......

Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

This is a known issue with the A6, and you cannot replace the display. The real issue is the micro-thin ribbon wire that connects the circuit board to the instrument display. When it gets hot out, it will get worse! The ONLY way to fix this is to replace the cluster. Sorry, many have tried and failed.

If you have a pre-2001 (i.e. no immobilizer) it is a simple process. You buy a remanufactured unit from the dealer, which once installed can be recoded (with a VAG COM)to the correct mileage on the odometer. You then return the damaged cluster to the dealer, and they give you back a core charge/deposit. Net out is about $400 I think for this swap.

If you have a 2001 or alter with the immobilizer, unless you have the Secret Key Code (SKC), you will need the dealer's help for this replacement. No way around it.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Thx, now i'm 100% sure, ill drive with missing pixels for next two years. (then i think ibuy A8).

Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Interesting thread about the multifunction display. I bought my 2000A6 with the same problem and the dealer has offered to replace the particular board. It appears if the cluster is opened and the defective board is simply pulled off and replaced with the new component. I guess in South Africa things could be different but the Audi dealer did not indicate anything about replacing the entire cluster.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:05 PM

The issue is the micro-thin ribbon wire that connects the circuit board to the instrument cluster, and you cannot replace the display. You can contact these people http://www.aaellc.com/ they transfer the data from your old cluster to your new one.
best of luck.

Quick Reply: Dead pixels at multifunction display.