Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Dealership repair

I have a 1998 A6 Quattro. When I bought it the driver side rear wheel bearings required to be replaced. Since I was not able to do it immediately I was given a new bearing.( probably after market). I took it to my local dealership and they told me that they bearing was a 73 mm and that they do not know whether the bearing in my car should be a 75 mm or a 83mm.
I spoke to another dealership and found out that it should be a 75mm. This they got from the production code. I also got my bearing measured by a professional company and they told me that it is a 75mm.
Is the dealership trying to trick me into buying their expensive bearing or they simply do not know?
Has anyone experienced anything of this kind with the dealership?

Thank you

Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Dealership repair

Dealer scam --- find someplace else to go!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear

ttypically you dont take parts to a dealer ... just indie shops

Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

I did take to all available Indie shops around. But they could not do it. So I was left with no option but to go to the dealership.Now I am going to compare the bearing they have and what I have before they replace it. That way I would know if they are lying.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

indie shop cant replace a wheel bearing?! are to taking it to a shop that works on american stuff or a shop that is specific to german or european cars? thats strange that they cant replace a wheel bearing

Old 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Where I live in Canada there are no shops that deal with European cars. I even took it to the Volkswagen dealership and they turned it down saying that they have never done an Audi. I took it to the biggest Indy one, Canadian Tire. They could not do it either. So I was left with the dealer. There is only dealership within 5 hours of driving.
So I guess they could play around.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

geez! looks like u got the short end of the stick on that one ... DIY

Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: magicfan

Where I live in Canada there are no shops that deal with European cars. I even took it to the Volkswagen dealership and they turned it down saying that they have never done an Audi. I took it to the biggest Indy one, Canadian Tire. They could not do it either. So I was left with the dealer. There is only dealership within 5 hours of driving.
So I guess they could play around.
Wow where do you live?!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

I live in New Brunswick. The dealership told me that the part I had was 73mm. and they think it is the front bearing. The company I bought it from are adamant that it is 75mm and the rear one and right for my car.
So the only option is to see what the dealership is offering and compare it to mine and see if they are lying or not.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear

good idea call the dealer tell them year n model n tell them u need the bearing n then go pick up the part compare it to the one you just bought and then ull see who is telling the truth! never thought of that ... and if they are lying then return the part!

Quick Reply: Dealership repair