Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the original post in this thread legit?
Yes, it's legit
47.62%
Nope, complete b.s.
38.10%
Not sure, I'm just a voyeur
14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Definitive Dension Gateway 500 A6 MMI Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Definitive Dension Gateway 500 A6 MMI Install

Hello all,

This is one of my first posts, and is a result of much searching and frustration. No one seems to have detailed instructions on the Dension install.

Major props to Eric at Bumperplugs.com for his great prices, fantastic service and general great attitude - he supplied this Dension.

Anyway, I'd gathered some rough directions, but nothing specific. Here is my best attempt at documenting the install with pictures.

First of all, the sound is spectacular and makes this modification totally worth doing. The stereo sounds so great - way better than the crappy Sirius I've been listening to!

Please feel free to email me

Cheers,
Gundo boxtah at gmail.com

The box and my iPod:

What comes in the box:

The location for install - the A6 glovebox

Some have said it is easy to install this device by removing the 6 disc CD player. I used the stereo removal keys and just couldn't pull the disc player out. So I resorted to plan B

Plan B is removing the entire glove box. This was scary and made me a bit nervous. The glovebox is SUPER easy to remove. There are 4 torx screws pictured below that need to come out, and there are 5 8mm bolts that need to come out - three along the front edge where the top of the glovebox meets the trim, and the other two are on the left and right side, just in front of the 4 torx screws pictured below:

The glovebox literally falls onto the floor - so support it. Here's a pic with the glovebox on the floor - and the money shot of the electronic hornet's nest that resides behind it:

here's a pic of the glove box out. there are two hinge pins that I removed to loosen the front door of the glovebox - hence the unattached glovebox door in this picture. No need to remove the pins, as the door doesn't need to be removed

here is the glovebox out and on the seat. there is one wiring harness that needs to be disconnected to move it this far - easy to do. sort of the center left of the picture below. IMPORTANT - you can see the back of the CD player now, and the power and fiber optic lines running into it.

Better shot of the back of the CD player

Now, the beauty of the system are the fiber optic leads that create the fiber optic MOST circle of light that provides sound and that the Dension has to interact with. As pictured below, remove the fiber optic lines that are plugged into the CD changer. This is where we break the circle of light and insert the Dension

You've got to remove the clip that connects the fiber optics to the cd player. here's the detail:

Now, you've got to separate the individual fiber optic lines from the clip by pushing the blue clip to release the lines. Be careful here - the lines can be broken. here I'm using a pick to push the clip. If you look closely, you can see little arrows, pointing in the direction of the light travel - one for into the cd player, one for out of the cd player

Okay, so the cables are out, and the Dension gets connected, following the written instructions. One cable goes out from the Dension, into the CD player, and the cable you've removed from the CD player is now loose:

Here's the Dension showing the first connection. The loose cable that goes to the right now gets connected to the Audi cable on the left of the picture

here's a pic detailing the Dension supplied clip you use to splice the fiber optic cables together. So now, your are conecting the loop, making the circle of light a circle again.

Now for power. I used a multi-meter to find unswitched power to run the Dension. connect the red wire with a wire tap to the light gray wire from the wire loom that connects to the top of the glovebox. I used a bolt that connects the fuse block to the vehicle body as a ground. You need to connect both, or no worky. Sorry, no picture of that

From here out is easy! Just feed all the Dension cables (iPod, USB and On-Off reset switch) through the hole in the glove box to connect them to the Dension unit. Here's a pic of the iPod cable poking through an existing hole. I didn't need to drill or expand any holes.

Here's where I stuffed the Dension unit - there was plenty of room between the firewall and the carpet - it's a nice snug fit, and the fiber optic cables don't have to bend much at all. You could probably find a better place, but this worked well enough. I don't think you can screw the Dension to the back of the glovebox as the clearance is pretty small.

So now, tuck the wires in, and begin to reinstall the glovebox. You'll reinstall the five 8mm bolts and 4 torx head screws and you are nearly in business.

here's a view of the iPod, USB cable and On-Off reset switch inside the glovebox. Yes it's a mess, I'll clean it up later.

Start the car, hit the CD button. Go to CD List, notice CD 6 is the Menu. Select Menu, then select iPod GW for GW control of the iPod.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 AM
1st Gear

signed up to say GREAT POST! (Took a while to register)

I'd really like to know how exactly you got the power hooked up. That's one of the really gray areas for me as I'm not exactly sure where to get 12v from.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 AM
2nd Gear

Two first time posters on a product that no longer has a United States distributor.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

It's pretty much the only GOOD Audi/iPod solution without any FM transmitting crap. Besides, I got the Gateway 500 from eBay USA.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

Kevin - bumperplugs.com is a current US distributor for this product. I posted to this site and to audieorld to spread the news on the install as there was no source of install directions I could find. I've got no association with bumperplugs, I'm just a satisfied customer. Your skepticism I suppose is justified as there are many people trying to shill products on boards these days.

As for the power question, use a multimeter to find unswitched power.

Cheers
Gundo

Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Got it working I got the power from the CD changer cables. Just scratched off the red wire and attached the Dension's red wire to it. Also scratched off the brown wire and attached the ground wire (black) to that.

The fiber optic cables were really easy to figure out, and now it's working beautifully!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

This is great, thanks! Just got one to install in my wife's '06 A6Q Avant, so this will be very helpful indeed!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear

I amazed by the number of posts in this thread that have been made by so-called members that have never posted in any other thread. It seems very strange. In addition, Dension's website states that there is no U.S. Distributor. Perhaps we have a few "members" that are trying to use this forum to generate an interest in what is now a gray market device.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM

This is by far the best step by step installation instruction I have seen on the Dension 500 very detail and dumb down so any one can do it. Great Post GUNDO keep up the good work.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM

There is also a Distributor in Connecticut www.Enfigcarstereo.com thats where i purchase mine they have free shipping.

Quick Reply: Definitive Dension Gateway 500 A6 MMI Install