Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosis for 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Diagnosis for 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and like what I see.

I have a 2002 A6 Quattro 3.0. 132,000 mi car was serviced well and all recalls done

I was told my repairs would cost me around 6,000 from Audi dealership.
Cat converter both (a mechanic had told me about this issue along with sensors $3000)
Torque Converter
coolant sensor
transmission tail shaft seal is leaking
right and left engine mounts torn

I had them fix my brake lights switch which was working when I went in but wasn't when I picked up my car (I practically accused them of messing p my car but they said it wasn't them cause they have to go behind the dashboard to do that, which they said they didn't) (was only doing a diagnostic) and they replaced a vacuum hose, leaking

First
, in my research I found that I should replace all bad oxygen sensors, air flow sensors and coolant sensors before I replace the cats, (because cats do not go bad) and this will help the cat issue, is this true?

Second, I know I can get these parts at a much lower price,
1) what site is the best place to buy parts with a guarantee
2) what are the first things with the above problems should I address in order of importance

Third, My car acceleration sucks, and I want to know if fixing the above will help or should I chip my car $600 quoted. (read the 3.0 doesn't have good acceleration to begin with)

Thanks for all help.

I love my Audi!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

First, it is true that catalytic converters have a longer life compared to the sensors.

Second, It is obvious that a damaged torque convertor would reduce the acceleration which you are facing. Fixing these problems would definitely help you out rather than opting to chip the car.

Third, To the best of my knowledge, you can get Audi replacement parts at never before rates and free 2 years warranty. I would definitely suggest you to get parts from here.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

Thx for the website.

What do you suggest I fix first?

Or is replacing all bad oxygen, airflow and coolant sensor will avoid me replacing the cats?

Thx again

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

If you want to check whether the catalytic converter is bad or not, you can remove it and check the engine performance. Do the same after re-inserting the converter and removing the o2 sensor. This way you can identify which part is failing and can buy the correct part.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kish
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and like what I see.

I have a 2002 A6 Quattro 3.0. 132,000 mi car was serviced well and all recalls done

I was told my repairs would cost me around 6,000 from Audi dealership.
Cat converter both (a mechanic had told me about this issue along with sensors $3000)
Torque Converter
coolant sensor
transmission tail shaft seal is leaking
right and left engine mounts torn

I had them fix my brake lights switch which was working when I went in but wasn't when I picked up my car (I practically accused them of messing p my car but they said it wasn't them cause they have to go behind the dashboard to do that, which they said they didn't) (was only doing a diagnostic) and they replaced a vacuum hose, leaking

First
, in my research I found that I should replace all bad oxygen sensors, air flow sensors and coolant sensors before I replace the cats, (because cats do not go bad) and this will help the cat issue, is this true?

Second, I know I can get these parts at a much lower price,
1) what site is the best place to buy parts with a guarantee
2) what are the first things with the above problems should I address in order of importance

Third, My car acceleration sucks, and I want to know if fixing the above will help or should I chip my car $600 quoted. (read the 3.0 doesn't have good acceleration to begin with)

Thanks for all help.

I love my Audi!
The cats unfortunately are a problem in the 3.0 the cats in this engine will fail around 100k.

if you want the OEM cats go to 2002 AUDI A6 QUATTRO Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com

the cats are very expensive and from what ive read the job isnt easy either.

you can try and just change the cat and weld the new cat back to the exhaust but im not sure if that will eliminate the "MIL" or check engine light.

also the torque converter is also another weakness in the automatic transmission.

you can either rebuild the converter or put a new or used one in.

1st change your torque converter. if it does more damage it will ruin the whole transmission and it might end up costing 6000 for JUST the transmission.

then look into the cats.

the prop shaft leak is also (unfortunately) a common leak. i got mine fixed for 300.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

Thx for the website.

What do you suggest I fix first?

Or is replacing all bad oxygen, airflow and coolant sensor will avoid me replacing the cats?

Thx again

Do you have any rotten egg smell from the exhaust? do you hear some kind of rattling in the bottom of the engine?

if so its the cats.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

I am not a mechanic and have to pay someone

Don't know anything about cars.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default No rattling or smell

Originally Posted by budhani786
Do you have any rotten egg smell from the exhaust? do you hear some kind of rattling in the bottom of the engine?

if so its the cats.
I don't have a rotten egg smell, my nose is very sensitive so would have picked it up. Also, there is no rattling i the bottom of my engine, so does that mean I don't need cats?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

I don't have a rotten egg smell, my nose is very sensitive so would have picked it up. Also, there is no rattling i the bottom of my engine, so does that mean I don't need cats?
its possible. if you post the code you got i can be sure. if its a oxygen sensor the code would specify which sensor and at which bank the sensor is faulty.

but its possible that (if) you recently had a oil change they could have added more than the capacity causing it to go into the cats which blocks it and made the ecu think its a fault.

i do know that 3.0 does have a big problem cats failing. google it and you should see.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
its possible. if you post the code you got i can be sure. if its a oxygen sensor the code would specify which sensor and at which bank the sensor is faulty.

but its possible that (if) you recently had a oil change they could have added more than the capacity causing it to go into the cats which blocks it and made the ecu think its a fault.

i do know that 3.0 does have a big problem cats failing. google it and you should see.
Well Audi dealership didnt give me the codes. They didnt say anything about the sensors but the mechanic shop did. And these people charge min 60 depending on where you go for a diagnostic

Quick Reply: Diagnosis for 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro