Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did some Audi cars not come with...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Did some Audi cars not come with...

Not come with a reat defrost window? I do not have any of the heater lines going across the back window...and as a suprise, right, I do not have the rear defroster, but it does have the button on the dash that lights up and does nothing. Hm...

Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Did some Audi cars not come with...

Ummm.... maybe the previous owner had the back window replaced with a non defroster eqiuipped window.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Site Moderator

ALL US spec A6 vehicles should have a rear window defroster, it definately sounds like somebody put in a cheap replacement window in the rear. Are you sure this vehicle hasn't been in a wreck? Ever do a carfax report?

Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

I would like to see a pic of this "non defroster rear window" I never ever saw a rear without defrosters.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ALL US spec A6 vehicles should have a rear window defroster, it definately sounds like somebody put in a cheap replacement window in the rear. Are you sure this vehicle hasn't been in a wreck? Ever do a carfax report?
Didn't have to be in a wreck, could have just been a chip or crack in the rear window but anything is certainly possible. I thought it was a law here (well Canada at least) that all rear windows have defroster lines run across?

Old 12-18-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Carfax is squeaky clean. Well except the one I was involved with when some lady hit my front, but that was after I got the car. I will post pictures of it later once I get it back from the shop, later on today.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

OK...the rear glass is a factory rear window. Has the Audi logo and all the numbers on the bottom left of it.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Ok- So maybe it is the incorrect Audi window. It has to be a replacement, right? I guess your decision now is to either live without the defroster, or get the rear replaced. I am not sure if there is some way to buy the heater element and apply it to the window, or if you have to replace the entire window. You should have some sort of electrical connector near the edge of the window where it plugs into the rear window heater lines. These are all guesses btw. Let us know if you figure this out.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

i also concur that i believe it is illegal to produce cars in the US without rear defroster elements. definitely sounds like the previous owner had it replaced for some reason or another and either didn't want to pay for the correct window, or the place that installed it had absolutely no idea what they were doing and shouldn't even be in business.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

I will take pictures and post them up tonight of the window and the sides of it.

I mean you are able to see the heating elements in the window right? Thewindow does have some really small zig zag wires going through the glass from one end to the other.

Quick Reply: Did some Audi cars not come with...