Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear
Default now the headlight =] (scroll down to my 3rd post)

there probably is a diy for this but i just cant find it, so can someone point me in the right direction? i have a '99 a6 quattro 2.8 v6, and i need to change the air filter. also what filter do u recommend, oem or k&n? thanks in advance

Last edited by hcaudikeed; 10-28-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

Although a lot of folks put in a K&N filter there are many that claim the oil messes up the MAF sensor. I just use a std Audi air filter --

Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

ok thanks..that's what I went with but just wanted to get someone elses opinion..now anything on how to change the sucker out?..all those sensors on the box have me a little nervous =/

Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Unplug carefully lol I dont have an Audi (yet) but it shouldnt be too bad, just remember if you think you're forcing it too much, you might be doing it wrong

The K&N's are great, but due to the oil on them, you should get some CRC MAF cleaner and clean the MAF after a few thousand miles in case theres any oil buildup, by then most of the extra oil will have been sucked out of the filter.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:17 PM
3rd Gear

A bit more complicated than just pulling the wires... Anyways, first you unscrew 2 screws holding the air intake tube to the front of the car. Just follow the plastic intake running from the air box to the front of the car, and you will see 2 phillips screws holding the air inlet to the frame above the radiator. Pull the snorkel and pull up the air intake assembly upward.

Now disconnect PCV hose in front of the airbox by turning it clockwise, and pulling out. Unclip 4 pressure clips around the airbox. Now if can lift the top cover to slide the air filter out. If you want to completely remove the top cover, then disconnect the intake hose from the box to the throttle body by loosening the big hose clamp. Remove the wiring going to the purge valve and the MAF sensor. Unhook the plastic tie holding the wiring to the top of the airbox. Now you can remove the whold top.

Be sure to clean out the pre-filter while replacing the air filter. It is held by a phillips screw inside the airbox.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng82.shtml this is a DIY for spark plug change but in the first 8 pics or so hes taking off the Air Box. Follow his steps. His is a 2.7T engine so it will look a lil different but not much mostly common sense. I use only OEM

Last edited by Retard Riot 686; 10-28-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

As for the connections just be careful I Managed to change my Air Filter while at work without taking the air box completely out. If you take pictures of the connections on top ill show u where to disconnect and what to disconnect. I would take pics of mine but shes in the shop right now. Once you do it youll say "wow thats it? Thats so easy"

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Retard Riot 686
As for the connections just be careful I Managed to change my Air Filter while at work without taking the air box completely out. If you take pictures of the connections on top ill show u where to disconnect and what to disconnect. I would take pics of mine but shes in the shop right now. Once you do it youll say "wow thats it? Thats so easy"
+1 on taking pictures as you go. That way you have a good reference as to what goes where. Also if you get stuck you can post pictures along wiht your questions.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default now the headlight =]

well the car is in the shop having body work done and i got them to install the filter in for free =]. but thanks alot with all ur responses, i really appreciate it and was surprised with how helpful you guys were. ill keep that info for the next time the filter needs to be changed. now i have another problem, the right headlight was leaking water and had the usual oxidation on the outside. i got the shop to wetsand the light and it came out really nice, and they took it out and gave it to me to reseal it ( and i want to do the clear corner mod). the problem is i cant find where its leaking from, its either on the outside corner or the attachment in the back that covers the bulbs (xenons). anyone help me with this? thanks guys.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

bump to show the new title

Quick Reply: DIY air filter?