Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Know What These Malfunction Codes mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Does Anyone Know What These Malfunction Codes mean?

Hi guys,

This is my second thread on this forum. I got great advice on the other one (Horrible experience with my A6, should she be junked?) and some posters asked about what error codes my car was receiving.
I have an '02 A6 with 37K miles with constant check engine lights. Dealer unable to diagnose,
told me to replace Cam Adjusters for $3500-$4300. [sm=boohoo.gif]

Yesterday, I took it to a neighborhood shop (CarSport) and asked them to look at it. They also did not know what was wrong with my car. They suggested I just keep driving it, until 'something' happens to it. Jokingly, I said if I seize my engine, I get 50% off a new engine, right? LOL He took a picture of the engine, and the oil looked clean, no sludge anywhere.

Today, my husband is driving the car, about 40 miles away. He said the car went from constant check engine light, to a flashing light. It lasted about 5 seconds, while he was pushing the car up a hill, going about 70 on the tollway.Ithad no noise, a little bit jerky and then it went back to thesteady CEL. He also said that when the car drives about 40 MPH, the RPM needle starts to"bounce/giggle" around the 1500 mark. ??

While at the shop yesterday, these are the codes that are being thrown..

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...code001he3.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...udicodeil3.jpg

Has anyone out there run into the same situation? Are there any suggestions I can give the auto shop as he doesn't know how to fix the car either (neither does the dealer). I hate to spend $4000 for a 'maybe that will do it" fix.

Thank you all for all your help. We really appreciate it.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Does Anyone Know What These Malfunction Codes mean?

yea flashing engine light is no good ... that is a sign of a potentially harmful problem ... steady check engine is not that bad

well the dealers guess is not a bad guess ... you can rule out a wierd electrical problems because there are physical symptoms of a problem ... the jerking when he was pushin the car up the hill is something in your cam shaft

I really dont want to tell you to go get the 4grand repair ... but maybe take it to an indy shop and see if the labor cost is cheaper ...

the only plus side about the dealer in this situation is the fact that they are diagnosing the problem and if they replace the adjusters n the problem doesnt go away you can probably yell scream rant rave etc and they will cut you some sort of deal (happened to a friend)... but an indy mechanic certainly wont do that ...theyll tell you to buzz off!

you have yourself in a wierd situation but i dont think the cam adjusters was a bad guess at all

Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

This is the same personthat asked the question about junking an A6 and the answer is the same....

You plugged the oil passages and messed up the cam adjusters when you used a high detergent oil aftercausing a lot of sludge to accumulate by not changing the oil often enough.

If you keep driving it you'll soon cause more problems -- it is possible to seize a cam bearing - break a cam - break the timing belt and put a hole in a piston.

When someone says goto an INDy they really meanone that knows Audi's - Sounds likecarsporthasn't a clue.....

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Hi Upset Audi Owner. It sounds to me like you may have a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. There are two on your car... on the front of each cylinder head. These devicestell the ECM in your car where the cam shafts are, so that the computer knows when to send spark to the cyclinders for individual firing. If one or both are bad, this is most likelythe cause of your cars poor running.I know you are aggravated with this problem, but If the car was mine,judging by the codes being thrown,I would replace them. I believe bank1 is the passengerside cylinder and bank 2 is the driver's. If you're not wanting to spend the money on the part...I would get a second opinion from another mechanic and ask them specifically if its possible that one or both camshaft position sensors is bad....Let me know theoutcome and Good Luck!!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: NH_USA

This is the same personthat asked the question about junking an A6 and the answer is the same....
Yes, it is one and the same. I am sodone withthe Royal Purple discussion. Thanks anyways.

I have taken my car to an indy dealer that works with audis'. He also doesn't know what the problem is. If the dealer's not sure what the problem is, and has to call the tech line at Audi, why would I assume an indy would know better. That is why I am asking if anyone has had these codes before. Thanks anyways....

DLCroft929- THANK YOU!
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I will look into it and let you know. Again, thanks for being so helpful. I appreciate it.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Hi again Upset Audi Owner. I'm still optimistic that a bad Cam Position Sensor(s) is the root of your cars evil. I was hoping that you hadread mymessage and had a chance to get a second opinion....Anyway, if this is the problem, it will be a MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE FIX than what you were toldby the dealer. Good Luck!!I hope to hear back soon and learn that your low mileage A6 is healty once again

Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I did read your message, thank you SO very much. I am looking into it.

I'm trying to get ahold of another indendent shop but they're kind of far, and no website. I know! LOL I hate dealing with this over the phone, but I'm going to have to. I sure hope it's the same problem, and is easy to fix. I'll call them tomorrow and get an estimate, but I can't bring her in until next week. I hope she lasts that long.We're still driving her, about 80 miles a day. She hasn't had a blinking CEL since that one time, it's still solid now.

Thank you.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

u probably shouldnt be driving it!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: joetm

u probably shouldnt be driving it!
That's what I thought! But the place I brought it to Tuesday, said the car is running good. I linked the codes they got out of her above in my first post here in this thread. They're not sure what's wrong with her, but they said there was NO sludge, the oil was good. They said to keep driving her until she breaks down. ?? I know! They said that's the only way to know for sure what the problem is when she's going to throw out more codes.

I know NOTHING about cars. I used to turn my cars in every 3-4 years, but this car I love! I've never owned a car this long. I love this car, I don't want to give her up. Suffice it to say, she's VERY sentimental to me for personal reasons.

Like I said before, I joked with the guy, if I seize my engine, I want 50% off the price of a new engine, and he said she's not going to seize. He thinks the wobbly RPM needle, and the vibrations are that maybe the car is trying to blow another coil (like the other two). There's another thread I started that lists everything that's gone wrong with this car. He said the car most likely was able to recover, and we'll know when she finally blows a coil for good. OR at least know which side the trouble is coming from. Right now, he (nor the Audi Dealership) , NOR Audi Tech Line) know what's wrong with this car, or how to fix it, other than replacing BOTH Cam Adjusters for the $3500-4300 job. I don't have that kind of disposable cash onhand so that's not an option. And besides, the dealer wasn'teven sure that was infact the problem, they just said that it would most likely take care of it. Crazy.

That's why I was on this forum asking if anyone's seen these codes before. Thanks anyways.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

I would take a stab and say its the cam position sensors as well. I don't think those are VAG codes. Maybe you should find someone that could actually VAG the car and tarck down the faulty piece.

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Know What These Malfunction Codes mean?