Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double check - reverse light

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 AM
3rd Gear
Default Double check - reverse light

Is this "Neutral Safety Switch" responsible for activating the backing lights when shifting into reverse?

I just noticed last night that I don't have reverse lights at all. Today I checked them out and still no resolution.
The bulbs are fine, and I have power coming to both connectors. That certainly eliminates a short and/or a blown fuse.
--
--

--
Name:  Reverse2.jpg
Views: 2603
Size:  36.8 KB
--
Name:  Reverse3.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  28.8 KB
--
--
Bentley is not much help on the issue, and while searching I didn't come across a definite answer (to be honest I only had time to search in this forum, today)

I would appreciate any input. Thanks guys.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear

[quote=chefro;1104099]

... and I have power coming to both connectors...

[quote]

What do you mean? You have power to the reverse light connector itself, but the bulbs are not lighting up?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1613851.html

The only place I can find it in the wiring is a wire going to the Memory Module...

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

If there is power to the connectors at the light and the bulbs are OK then it is either the ground or both sockets are messed up.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Originally Posted by chefro

... and I have power coming to both connectors...

What do you mean? You have power to the reverse light connector itself, but the bulbs are not lighting up?
yes, indeed, although I should have said "power plugs".
I had my wife helping me (shift it to reverse) while I checked them, and got power on both sides as it should be.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
If there is power to the connectors at the light and the bulbs are OK then it is either the ground or both sockets are messed up.
well, I have some time on my hands today, so I'll recheck the sockets, although I cleaned them good yesterday and slapped on some dielectric grease.

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Last edited by chefro; 07-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1613851.html

The only place I can find it in the wiring is a wire going to the Memory Module...
Thanks, Jim.
You gave me something else to look for. I'll get under the car and look around the shifting linkeage and see if I can locate something looking similar.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

If you put it into reverse and get power to the plugs, then yes, the backup switch would be good. You need to check the power at the sockets to ground at the sockets. Dont clip to a nearby ground.

Are you sure the bulbs in there are actually the correct ones? Lot of them look the same, but the pins dont actually line up with the sockets.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear

If you get power to the sockets, then as Jim said, it should be ground related or the bulbs.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear

The bulbs are 12V-21W, exactly as the manual has them specified.
For conformity (although they look/ed good to me), I went and got two new bulbs but it was just a waste of gas and money.

Well, for what is worth, I noticed that the power plug on the driver side has three wires connected, as compared to only two on the passenger side.
I would assume one is "hot", one "ground", and the third one comes from the switch itself - red-and-white one in the first pic?
If the switch is bad, then it would not send an electric impulse to rely the fact that the gear is engaged (while the plug itself still gets power), would it?

Also, I did do check the voltage by connecting the probes to both "prongs" of the power plug. I also cheched again at the socket after reconnecting it. I haven't used a different grounding. Is that what you meant?
--
Name:  ReverseSocket.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  56.5 KB

Quick Reply: Double check - reverse light