Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug's C5 A6 4.2 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Doug's C5 A6 4.2 Quattro

Well, I'm new to the Audi world and was kinda pushed this direction by a fellow MG member. This is my first Audi and glad it is an A6 4.2 Quattro. I just bought it a week ago and gave her, her first bath before posting up here. About 6 months back i noticed an A6 across the street from our Condo at a private VW/Audi dealership. Saw the price tag of $3,500 and said "DANG, thats a GREAT deal...." and wondered, "So whats wrong with it?" I just let it be and months passed and it hadnt moved. The price tag ended up getting taken down and decided i should probably run in and find out what the story was on the car. Dealer tells me its got a slipping trans.

Story is the Original Owner brought it in for some repairs/maintenance. The dealer replaced the Water Pump, Timing Belt, Dealer battery, Drive axle, and some hoses. After getting the work done realized the trans was going out. Called the owner with the news. Owner didnt want to pay for a new trans and pay for all the work done so the dealer paid him $1000 to purchase the car. At this point the Dealer was into the car $2900 trying to sell it for $3500. As stated it sat for months with no one wanting an A6 with slipping trans so they took the price tag down.

When i came in he said he would HAVE to get $2500 to get close to what he had put into it. I knowing that he was gonna take a loss offered $2000. he came back with $2300. And i got him down to $2100. So for ZF rebuild kit and torque converter i'll be looking at about $550 to get her back on the road. I feel rather lucky and VERY excited to get into the Audi world for ~$2,700.

Happy with my purchase the car is VERY clean. interior and exterior are in EXCELLENT shape. Motor runs SOO smooth and sounds great. So now i have a Trans rebuild to come in the next couple weeks that Ben (extreme90path) and i will be tackling.

Thanks Ben for talking me into buying this car. cant WAIT to get her on the road.

Pics of my new wheels .

Name:  IMG_0450_zps9a64748f.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  252.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0442_zps07cbd56b.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  192.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0444_zps05e5455b.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  233.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0445_zpscfa0185f.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  217.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0448_zpsbafaf09d.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  230.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0452_zps1829186d.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  200.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0453_zps7568e10d.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  208.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0454_zps9ea6b9f7.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  193.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0451_zps3004af61.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  179.0 KB
Motor is a little dirty. I need to detail that but, i'm really liking it.

Very first thing on the list is the
-Trans rebuild, then
-Exhaust
-Miro 111's or some VMR's
-LED tails
-Tint
-Lowering Springs
-Trunk Fin
-Intake, Maybe

then we'll see where to go from there. This is more going to be my daily while i work on the Supra.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

HEY, guys i'm in need of some help ASAP. this tranny needs to be back together and IN THE CAR by saturday.

I'm having issues getting the Oil pump off from the front/bell housing portion on the Trans. The Repair Manual shows a REAR wheel drive 5hp24 so we're trying to see if i'm missing something or not.

This is how it sits currently

OIL PUMP with all surrounding bolts removed (assuming those black things are just plugs cause front drive shaft runs through there)

So far i've put vice grips on both sides and tried yanking and pulling with no luck. (guy removing one from a 5hp19 Rear Wheel drive just slid his right out) So i took the vice grips clamped down SUPER hard on one side then using a slide hammer was trying to pop an edge/side loose. with no luck

This is from the REAR with gear box removed. there are some torx bolts going around. but from exploded views (REAR WHEEL DRIVE) it shows that those dont need to come out to remove the pump.

The problem is those rear torx bolts are wanting to strip VERY easily and already broken a flat head screw driver trying to get that bearing out to reach the other torx bolts.

SOO, DO I NEED TO REMOVE THOSE REAR TORX OR JUST SLIDE HAMMER THE PUMP HARDER? any diagrams, videos, exploded versions of the AWD 5hp24 would be great (if there are any)

Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

You might want to call these guys

Eriksson Industries

I met with the owner a couple of years ago and took a tour of his shop. They really know these transmissions and the owner was very friendly and helpful.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ManyAudis
You might want to call these guys

Eriksson Industries

I met with the owner a couple of years ago and took a tour of his shop. They really know these transmissions and the owner was very friendly and helpful.
Thanks a bunch, I finally got it out and all ready for rebuild.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

progress?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
progress?
haha ya sorry, the passed few days have kinda been a waiting game.

So it's all apart and I found the culprit. (A-Clutch drum)

Reason last couple days have been kinda slow is below.

3 weeks back i purchased the Master Rebuild kit for the A6. On the companies website they had listed the 01V trans for the 2001 A6 Quattro 4.2 , i called them and said that was incorrect that the 01V was 6cyl engines and i needed the 5hp24 the 01L. They called the manufacturer and returned my call saying that it was simply listed wrong and that it was the correct kit that i would be receiving and to go ahead and purchase. I would simply get some extra parts that wouldnt be used. So i purchased it and found out yesterday that the kit was wrong. the clutch rings were all the wrong size, the gaskets were wrong. is enough to sum up how i'm feeling right now.

they sent the 5hp19 kit. the problem is i needed to be headed back to Utah this sunday and its basically impossible to get the rebuild kit here by saturday. (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, CAUSE IF I CAN GET IT HERE BY SATURDAY I NEED TO DO THAT) so they are refunding the original purchase and paying for return shipping. what they want me to do is purchase the CORRECT kit (which is cheaper) but pay the $110 for next day express which they say wont get here till monday cause next day express is only M-F. (what they say, again not sure if thats true) or if there is a company that could have it here by saturday. So they gave a full refund on the first kit and took $60 off the next day express shipping so i could get the kit here ASAP. Tracking says it should be here tomorrow so i can actually get the thing back together. I'll probably make a separate thread with the rebuild in detail and lots of pics.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Fluck! that is what chewed up tranny. Was looking forward to asking you how the rebuild went, but I see the poo that happened.

Keep us posted, curious to hear how the 4.2L drives... she's a beast

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

well, Tranny is back together and in the car. Fluids filled, and i turned on the car (still on jacks) pop it in R...... nothing Then forward, and got all the wheels spinning. so i dropped it from the jacks and tried backing it out of the shop shifting into R feel a SLIGHT pull that instantly goes away. revving a little does nothing, car wont move in Reverse. So i pushed it out of the shop and threw her in Drive and she pulls/sounds/feels GREAT!!

So, ALL Forward/Drive gears work great, but reverse still not working.

I did rebuilt the full F-Clutch drum (steels, clutches, O-rings, and Piston) POSITIVE it was put back together correctly.

My thoughts are, What could still be the cause of R not working? Valve Body issues (if so, what specific parts). Are there fluid lines that specifically go the the F-Clutch pack that may have popped out (some lines were kinda loose) to cause the pack to not get fluid...

input? suggesstion?

Overall, for my very first tranny rebuild i feel it came along well.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by darknight01
well, Tranny is back together and in the car. Fluids filled, and i turned on the car (still on jacks) pop it in R...... nothing Then forward, and got all the wheels spinning. so i dropped it from the jacks and tried backing it out of the shop shifting into R feel a SLIGHT pull that instantly goes away. revving a little does nothing, car wont move in Reverse. So i pushed it out of the shop and threw her in Drive and she pulls/sounds/feels GREAT!!

So, ALL Forward/Drive gears work great, but reverse still not working.

I did rebuilt the full F-Clutch drum (steels, clutches, O-rings, and Piston) POSITIVE it was put back together correctly.

My thoughts are, What could still be the cause of R not working? Valve Body issues (if so, what specific parts). Are there fluid lines that specifically go the the F-Clutch pack that may have popped out (some lines were kinda loose) to cause the pack to not get fluid...

input? suggesstion?

Overall, for my very first tranny rebuild i feel it came along well.

Very important when refilling transmission fluid that it's completely raised level with wheels off the ground and fill transmission then start the engine fill some more shift through reverse and through drive then fill some more till runs out replace the plug and allow to cool completely over night and do the same again. Your reverse will work.