Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duct Taped CV Boots??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Duct Taped CV Boots??

Thats right.

I was laid off and really don't have the $$ now to replace my torn CV Boots. BOth of them are Ripped! I've heard that torn CV boots could let in contaminants and eventually lead to your axles freezing-up... when this happens you can seriously F*&k-up ur transmission.

I am asking you guys for some advice for how to prolong the life of my axles with these torn CVs... until i have the mean$ to replace them.

I've read somewhere that putting grease in there can help until you change them. If so any suggestions of what type of grease? and how? Also, why not take the extra step and duct tape the F*&kers in the mean time? comments suggestions rants.... raves??

Last thing, what should it cost to replace the CVs and refurbish the axle??

I'm living back in Queens NYC and encourage any suggestions on a good place to go... or if you know someone.

T2.7T

Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Site Moderator

The grease would just get flung all over your car and wheels if they are ripped. I would just put the duct tape on them as they sit now until you get them repaired, the axle won't fail, and you can take that advice to the bank. Of all maybe.....6,000 CV boots i have replaced at audi i have never come accross a siezed or damaged axle, and some of these stupid people drive on them like that for years before bringing them in.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

Wow! 6000 CV boots! Mine blew recently too ~ 56k miles. Is there anything I can due to extend the life of the new ones? Why are they so chinsy?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Teutonic2.7T
Thats right.

I was laid off and really don't have the $$ now to replace my torn CV Boots. BOth of them are Ripped! I've heard that torn CV boots could let in contaminants and eventually lead to your axles freezing-up... when this happens you can seriously F*&k-up ur transmission.

I am asking you guys for some advice for how to prolong the life of my axles with these torn CVs... until i have the mean$ to replace them.

I've read somewhere that putting grease in there can help until you change them. If so any suggestions of what type of grease? and how? Also, why not take the extra step and duct tape the F*&kers in the mean time? comments suggestions rants.... raves??

Last thing, what should it cost to replace the CVs and refurbish the axle??

I'm living back in Queens NYC and encourage any suggestions on a good place to go... or if you know someone.

T2.7T
Are you able to do the work yourself?

If so, I am willing to offer you a sweet deal on a brand new kit (two new boots, bolts, and grease) I got from ecstuning a year ago. I never used them. Still in box. I ended up replacing both of my front axles; I got an amazing deal on them and counldn't resist.

PM me if your are interested. $15 plus shipping from Philly

I'd be more than happy to help out a fellow 6'er

Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

Duct Tape a boot???? Fantastic idea.

You'll probably need super high strength duct tape with unbelievably sticky glue that is not affected by grease. I'd personally choose either red or bright blue so the person I ran over would be able to see it if he lost his glasses.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

Seriously. Boot kit costs $20. Two of them at $40. If you are able to crawl down the car and duct tape the boots, you can replace the boots with new one.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

I heard to just replace the boots you need to drop the axle and it's usually cheaper to buy the entire axle, is that not true?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by charnow
I heard to just replace the boots you need to drop the axle and it's usually cheaper to buy the entire axle, is that not true?

BS. Its never cheaper to buy a new axle, the repair boots are dirt cheap, but replacing them can be a pain in the but if you don't have the right tools. You need to un do the upper control arms and tie rod end, take out the super big allan bolt holding the axle to the hub, pull the axle out of the hub and use a slide hammer or gear puller to get the cv axle off the shaft.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by charnow
No need to drop the axle on our cars. Boot kit is $20. New axle is +$300. Do the math.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

I actually find it easier to deal with the boots if you drop the axle, since it's only six extra bolts! If you just drop the top control arms out, the strut winds up in your way. You'll need the special 12 point wrench, but at least you won't drip any tranny fluid out!

Bob

Quick Reply: Duct Taped CV Boots??