Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELECTRICAL FIRE!!! DUE TO RECALL!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ELECTRICAL FIRE!!! DUE TO RECALL!!! HELP!!!

ok, now this is seriously disturbing. is there anything that us a6 owners can do to insure that this doesn't happen to us?! i've also had the JC recall done, but this really bothers me that i could be driving and all of the sudden the car could catch on fire!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, not I constantly find myself looking out of the corner of my eyes for white smoke and that electrical smell. Jesus, not what i needed to hear in my second month of ownership..!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear

Does anybody have the service bulletin numbers or links? I'd like to find out if they apply to my A6. I don't ever visit the dealer.

I guess I'll be asking for a small fire extinguisher for Xmas. Probably should carry one anyway.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Well, I hope every victim complains to NHTSA and maybe it will issue a recall on a recall.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear

Stop worrying --
If it is a wire chafe someone needs to post pictures so everyone can see where it happens. A few pictures of bandaids etc. would make it so everyone on here could fix Audi's little problem for themselves.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM

your lucky audi is covering this for you, im having problems with audi now ( corp ) and they tell me that there here for the dealerships and not the owners.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear

Everybody chill. We need pictures. Then we can investigate whether our cars have been fixed for this recall. If not, it is an easy trip to the dealer. This problem affects all A6 models from 1999-2003. Here is a link to research your cars recalls. You can also call the dealer (service) and give them your VIN and they can let you know what is recalled and maybe even provide you a printout. There is no cost to the consumer for Auto recalls, and from the looks of the fix doesnt cost anything. Some felt and a plastic peice. Common sense fix. Wrap the wiring in conduit and/or reshape that jagged lip under the crash bolster.2 clips and it falls open. My camera is broken so someone please post pics and we can use this thread as a future FYI for other members etc.

Link: http://www.car.com/content/own/servi...0&id=25022

Here are the specifics/details:

Campaign Number:04V133000 Date:2004-Mar-18

Component:[/b]Electrical System

Defect Summary:[/b]ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, IF A DRIVER'S KNEES PUSH AGAINST THE KNEE BOLSTER (CRASH ELEMENT) LOCATED UNDER THE DASHBOARD, IT CAN CONTACT THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH WIRING HARNESS, AND AN ELECTRICAL SHORT COULD OCCUR.

Consequence Summary:[/b]A FIRE COULD ORIGINATE IN THE LEFT DASHBOARD AREA.

Corrective Summary:[/b]DEALERS WILL INSTALL A PROTECTIVE COVERING ON THE KNEE BOLSTER (CRASH ELEMENT). IN ADDITION, THE WIRING HARNESS AS WELL AS THE FELT PROTECTOR ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DASHBOARD CARRIER WILL BE CHECKED, AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 26, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT AUDI AT 1-800-822-2834.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

bump!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM

hi all, new to the forum and i am looking to buy a A6 wagon or a allroad in the early spring. i just found this forum today but yesterday i was searching for specs, recalls, and etc and ran across the recall info. here is some info that i got. here is a copy of a summary of the recall (below). also i added 2 links below that have all the years of the A6 and other recalls. also a good thing is to call the dealer w/ your vin # to see what has been done or not (recalls). hope this helps.
cheers

"Summary:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HALOGEN LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS, CERTAIN CONNECTOR PINS IN THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH CONNECTOR COME INTO CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER CAUSING A SHORT CIRCUIT. NOTE: VEHICLES WITH XENON LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT AFFECTED BECAUSE THE CIRCUIT IN THESE VEHICLES CONTAINS A FUSE, WHICH PRECLUDES EXCESSIVE CURRENT FLOW IN THE CASE OF A SHORT CIRCUIT. AUDI S6 AND S6 AVANT VEHICLES ARE ALL EQUIPPED WITH XENON LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS AND, THEREFORE, ARE NOT LONGER AFFECTED BY THIS RECALL"
http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/.../a6/index.html

http://www.automotive.com/1999/12/au...lls/index.html

Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: daway

NOTE: VEHICLES WITH XENON LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT AFFECTED BECAUSE THE CIRCUIT IN THESE VEHICLES CONTAINS A FUSE, WHICH PRECLUDES EXCESSIVE CURRENT FLOW IN THE CASE OF A SHORT CIRCUIT.
huh, well if that's the case then that makes me feel better. i've got factory xenons in my a6, so hopefully mine's immune from going up in flames?[&:]

Quick Reply: ELECTRICAL FIRE!!! DUE TO RECALL!!! HELP!!!