Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light on an 8-week old A6 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine light on an 8-week old A6 3.0T

Hey guys

I was pulling into the deck at work yesterday and the solid yellow check engine light came on. I only have put on 2000 miles and got this car before Christmas. I was obviously a little irritated that I went from a 2007 Infiniti M35 which never had a problem and now having an issue after such a short time. So I called the Audi dealership when I got off work at 4 and they said to swing by.

The plugged it in and took it back. They said it was an EVAP error that they have seen on a couple of the 3.0T (supercharged) engines, he mentioned either the A5 or Q5, neither of which I thought had the same engine. I was under the impression that only the S4 had a tuned version of the same engine. Anyway, he said they are waiting for a software update and he reset the warning.

He lastly warned that the light may come on again and to not worry unless it's blinking. Am I being a little picky here? I feel that if I just dropped over 50G's for a car that I shouldn't have a yellow light that I have to ignore.

What do you guys think?

Raj

Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear

Sell your car now! If the little things are going to bother you, a european car will drive you insane!

It takes an adventurous sprite and a lot of patience to own ANY european car.

If you want a trouble free car, Toyota makes some great cars. If the Toyota isn't boring enough for you, Lexus will fill that void. You already know what you get with Nissan/Infinity, so that leaves Honda/Acura.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

The above is a common response....and not to be a jerk, but he's driving a 2000 and probably did not make the same investment that you did. I'm ok dealing with the small issues because I bought my car used with quite a few miles. I'd be pissed if I was in your position. I've been looking at new cars today for my wife and did not drop into the audi dealership because of the issues. This excuse about it being a european car is played out. I'd be making some calls to audi of america.

btw, the m35/45 would be a great car if they would fix that funky dash.

Last edited by crazyguy; 02-16-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear

You have a right to be irritated after dropping 50 large, but on the other hand these Audis have so many bells/whistles that it is not unusual for little things to go wrong. Not a biggee, as long as they are fixed promptly. The 3.0T engine is relatively new, heavily managed by the ECU, so a software upgrade sounds reasonable. If that does not fix it, then really complain.

Jeffla, you been listening to the news lately? 30 deaths attributed to unexpected acceleration, 8.5MM recalls. Toyota HAD a sterling reputation -- no more.

I'd rather have a fun car that needed an occasional tweak than a boring, reliable car. And my stable reflects it: A6, A4, and three Chrysler Crossfires.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear

Your right I didn't buy my car new, but that doesn't mean I don't understand. **** happens, now get over it. You have a check engine light, it's not like your engine failed. Put things in perspective.

European cars require more upkeep, it's really that simple. If you don't like it, don't buy one.

As far as 30 deaths attributed to the Toyota recall, read a little more, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Toyota will continue to be the gold standard of reliability, even if it kills off a few of it's owners.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by crazyguy
The above is a common response....and not to be a jerk, but he's driving a 2000 and probably did not make the same investment that you did. I'm ok dealing with the small issues because I bought my car used with quite a few miles. I'd be pissed if I was in your position. I've been looking at new cars today for my wife and did not drop into the audi dealership because of the issues. This excuse about it being a european car is played out. I'd be making some calls to audi of america.

btw, the m35/45 would be a great car if they would fix that funky dash.
If you think a different european car will be more reliable, you are in for one hell of an expensive mistake. My experience with Volvo's, Saab's, Audi, BMW's have all been the same. They all have their issues, some a little better than others. There is a reason the Japanese cars are at the top of the reliability ratings year after year. Where does Audi/BMW/Saab/MB fall in that list.....anyone?

Take responsibility for buying an Audi, knowing there are more reliable cars available. I get tired of the constant whining from people saying this or that broke, and their Nissan this or Lexus that never had a problem. Then go buy one.

The reliability ratings are published every year. So now shut up and drive to your local Honda/Toyota/Nissan dealer.

When Audi makes it to the #1 slot, or even in the top 10, and your car is plagued with problems, then I will listen to your complaints.

Last edited by Jeffla; 02-16-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

Give you're audi to me,I'll give it a good home

Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

I dropped over $60K when I bought mine and now I am on a first name basis with everyone in the service department. I look at as an opportunity to drive the various cars in the loaner fleet.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin
I dropped over $60K when I bought mine and now I am on a first name basis with everyone in the service department. I look at as an opportunity to drive the various cars in the loaner fleet.

LOL LOL LOL I almost fell out of my chair when I read this...

I am very happy that people purchase new Audi's, get frustrated with them, and give up so I have something to buy. The stealerships help by giving poor service at outlandish prices.

So thanks to all that purchase new Audi's. Keep up the good work! -- LOL

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rajiv365
Hey guys

I was pulling into the deck at work yesterday and the solid yellow check engine light came on. I only have put on 2000 miles and got this car before Christmas. I was obviously a little irritated that I went from a 2007 Infiniti M35 which never had a problem and now having an issue after such a short time. So I called the Audi dealership when I got off work at 4 and they said to swing by.

The plugged it in and took it back. They said it was an EVAP error that they have seen on a couple of the 3.0T (supercharged) engines, he mentioned either the A5 or Q5, neither of which I thought had the same engine. I was under the impression that only the S4 had a tuned version of the same engine. Anyway, he said they are waiting for a software update and he reset the warning.

He lastly warned that the light may come on again and to not worry unless it's blinking. Am I being a little picky here? I feel that if I just dropped over 50G's for a car that I shouldn't have a yellow light that I have to ignore.

What do you guys think?

Raj
It is the first model year so l would imagine some little gremlins are expected; however, if it comes back again and again and the dealer does not deal with it, then your car is actually considered a lemon. You can make the dealer compensate for that. You should NOT have a CEL on a new car. Have the dealer deal with it.

Quick Reply: Engine light on an 8-week old A6 3.0T