Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine or suspension/wheel issue???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear
Question Engine or suspension/wheel issue???

I have this problem that wont seem to go away...The front end of my car shakes from about 70 mph to 80-85 mph.I dont feel it in the steerin g wheel, but a little through the gas petal. Everyone says balancing etc...The thing is , it goes on and off almost steadily..about 3 seconds on , 4 seconds off. I had new tires put on about 10,000 miles ago, and they balanced them. everytime I had an alignment problem or balancing problem before, it was consistant shaking at certain speeds, not on and off. Its not a plug or coil problem, no cel and I just fixed a misfire just recently(bad ICM/PCU). I think I need a new clower control arm on the drivers side , could it be a suspension issue?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

could be your tie rod area or ball joints, same thing use to happen with me. its either that or the tires have bubbles in them.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:31 AM
2nd Gear

The on again, off again cycling points to a non-tire, non-brake, non-suspension related issue. Have you hooked up a VAG_COM and scanned the codes? Could be an engine issue or a transmission issue. Do the RPMs drop at all?

Bob

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default no codes at all

I havent had a cel since I fixed my misfire problem, but I did a scan and got no codes. There is no rpm change at all, and the tranny shifts smoothe.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

i say tie rod ends. i had the same problem with same symptoms. get it on a lift, its pretty easy to distinguish the bad TRE.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Ive read alot about them going at 100,000 +

I live in the sticks...Lots of pot holes, twisty turnies, dips, and I always seem to be in a hurry, especially when I got a cocky little ricer behind me trying to ride my ***...I hope thats all it is, got to get it inspected next week..Would I need a lift to takle the tie rod ends myself if thats what the problem is???

Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 AM

im not sure but could it be a wheel bearing??

Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 AM
2nd Gear

You can test the tie rod ends yourself. I use a couple of "For Sale" signs with a sheet of wax paper in between. Lay these on the ground just in front of the tire, then drive onto them. They will act as a turn plate. Grap the tire in the 3 and 9 positions and try to turn the wheel. Watch the tie rod end inner boot for flexing Any movement and it is the inner joint. Same with the outer.

Bob

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by marcb0127t
I live in the sticks...Lots of pot holes, twisty turnies, dips, and I always seem to be in a hurry, especially when I got a cocky little ricer behind me trying to ride my ***...I hope thats all it is, got to get it inspected next week..Would I need a lift to takle the tie rod ends myself if thats what the problem is???
no you dont really need a lift at all, just makes it alot easier. just a jack and stands and remove the wheel. pretty easy job. there's a write-up on audidiy.com. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel29.shtml thats the link. good luck buddy.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

marcb0127t, in your sig you mention having Febi control arms, and one is bad at 138xxx. How many miles were on the car when the originals were replaced? Im just thinking that thats an awful low amount of miles for control arms that are supposed to be better than oem to be going bad?

Quick Reply: Engine or suspension/wheel issue???