Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine temp, and oil temp cold...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine temp, and oil temp cold...

Just need to replace the thermostat right?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine temp, and oil temp cold...

Is that just cold or just not warm? If they are both cold then it is not just the thermostat it is likely both sensors gone or another problem with the instrument panel.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

well the engine tends to get warm every once and a while, but not ever making it to the center of the gague, and the oil temp doesnt make it to the first line usually, so they pretty much stay over on the left of the gague, and im getting a check engine light sometimes as well, but it doesnt seem to come on when the engine sometimes gets to about half way to the middle of the engine temp gague... Also sometimes i smell a kind of burning smell from under the hood, like where the heater is, behind the engine...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

is it possible his mixture of Anti-freeze and water isnt at 50/50 mix ratio? prolly not cause his oil temp reading low also?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

how much driving is required to get the temp guage to read in the middle?
The oil temp will follow but is slower to reach about 200f. It normally does not reach the middle of the guage. This does not have naything to do with antifreeze %. The smell coming from behind the engine can indicate a leaking after run coolant pump.

BTW what is the year and engine in your A6?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm, somone brough it up to me that i might have thermostat problem, but not sure...

It started happening ever since i got the APR chip, and i though it was simply because the car was running really rich like in the 11's so it was staying cooler, basically when i'm driving normaly, the engine temp seems to chill at like 1/3 not 1/2, so a bit below normal, and haven't paid much attention to oil temps, but they seem to be fine when i look at them. but then say when i'm driving it hard, the engine temp goes up to half way the way it should be, and it never goes over half so thats good. but yeah the question is, is that a bad thermostat, or just me running rich because of the chip?

Thanks,
-Val

Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

mine is a 95 a6... 2.8 quattro

Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

Go for it, change the thermostat and see what happens. Be certain to get the factory spec thermostat.
If you go for an after market cooler temp stat it will of course run the engine cooler than it should be.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

i got the best one, but where is it on this car, the thermostat? I had a celica before and it was right on the front of the engine, so, im not familiar with these engines...

Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Site Moderator

Oh man your in for some fun, its behind the timing belt, you have to take off or move the front clip forwards. You might as well do the water pump and timing belt while your in there.
Buy a Haynes or Bentley manual to help you out.

Quick Reply: Engine temp, and oil temp cold...