Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever popular exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Ever popular exhaust question

I've been looking at several cat back exhausts for my 2001 A6 2.7T (triptonic). Can anyone recommend one? More importantly does it matter if your transmission is Manual vs. Triptonic for cat backs? I can see it being an issueifone is replacing thedown pipes, but for cat backs?

Any information/insights would be most welcome...I just want to make my car run faster until I get a used RS6...

Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Ever popular exhaust question

Miltek and APR are the most popular I think and they have the best fit for our car.
I could not get a miltek and it took nme for ever to gett he APR. Installed 2 weeks ago and it is too quiet! Can hardly tell the difference with stock. Will be removing the resonator. car revs different but HP gain form catback is minimal.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

That's too bad, I was thinking that it would sound a bit "meaner" and add some noticable HP...I have a giac chip, tip chip, s-flo intake and diverter valves on my ride...was hoping to gain a little more HP

Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

its a damn shame theres no catback for my 2.8

Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: formulagigi

Miltek and APR are the most popular I think and they have the best fit for our car.
I could not get a miltek and it took nme for ever to gett he APR. Installed 2 weeks ago and it is too quiet! Can hardly tell the difference with stock. Will be removing the resonator. car revs different but HP gain form catback is minimal.
I'm glad you shared this. I was considering the APR cat back. I think I'll keep my money for other possible mods or for my emergency car repair fund.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 AM

turbos hush things quite a bit. I have a Stebro final, and its just straight through so I think it would make some noise. May also want to check B&B as well. Or, some are raving about the cargraphic on other forums, if you have the cash.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

I have a miltek cat back and have just added APR downpipes. Adding the DP's gave me a little bit more growl, but nothing major and thats the way I like it.

APR and Miltek are your best bets although Supersprint makes nice stuff too.

OOOO

Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

Agreed above, frmo a quality and fit perspectives, APR and MILTEK aare top choices.
Miltek I think sounds little louder but I ahve no proof on my car.

I do know the APR is quiet and I have PIGGY pipe too so.. make your own decision.
APR sayd the catback adds 18hp on a chipped car. I have the 93oct chip, piggies and I honestly cannot confirm the gain. It does seem to rev freer at high RPMs but my guess would be more like 5-10hp gain. Again no dyno proof here.

I think you should get a cusotm exhaust done with maybe magnaflow mufflers for a few hundred $, it'll sound better and per for will be the same. But I would get Piggies or DPs to max performance gain.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

oh my exhaust was just built ofr me by APR last month, it looks different than the old ones. I was at GMP performance yesterday and they had another a6 2.7T there with an older APR, the tips were different. His sounded a little louder. Mine looks better.
Maybe buy a used APR exhaust to lessen the expense and it might be louder. Also exhaust get a little louder with miles and mine is virtually new.
I alked to the mechanic there and he said he could remove the reosnator and weld in a piece of stainless steel pipe and it'll sounbd a little louder but he does not think it'll get much louder. So I might save the 150 for 2 hour labor and leave it as is.
I would love to hear an A6 2.7T wth a miltek.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: jj2345

its a damn shame theres no catback for my 2.8
Didn't realize, sorry!

Would this help
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....54942&VS=1

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....s&CID=5534

Quick Reply: Ever popular exhaust question