Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Extended Warranty"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear
Default "Extended Warranty"

Hello everyone. I posted earlier about my plans to by an 2006 A6 and am still looking to follow through with that. However I was concerned with the warranty so I asked the dealer what they offered. First off, it's at 40k miles so it's still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, and the dealer can also give me an "extended warranty" to 100k miles from Audi. My question is, does Audi even give extended warranties, and is it worth it? Also, I'm actually from Canada and will be purchasing the vehicle there and driving it down to the states. Would the vehicle still be covered in the US and be able to be repaired at no cost at the dealers there? It would be troublesome to drive back to Canada just to get it repaired.

Thank you.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear

I would ask a dealer in the US that question. I am sure that Audi offers an extended warranty for certified cars but ask them carefully what it covers. The maintenance costs are the killer and neglecting the maintenance is what usually leads to the major failures. So you wouldn't like them to tell you they can't warranty your transmission etc...because you didn't bring it in for a maintenance check or something like that. You know they are all a bunch of weasels so read the fine print while they're lying to you.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I just bought a 2007 A6 in Canada that had been brought up from the States. And though it has some factory warranty left on it I could not get Audi's extended warranty and had to buy coverage from a 3rd party.

I think it is certainly worth asking a US dealer about coverage before committing.

M

Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info.

Bondie, may I ask which 3rd party warranty you purchased? I'm kind of lost with all the horror stories out there.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not voting against an extended warranty, but keep in mind these only cover broken stuff. A lot of stuff that wears out and costs a lot of money to "repair"/replace is considered maintenance -- e.g., rotors, brakes, clutches, timing belt. So be sure the contract is explicit on what it covers and what it excludes. Then do the math and figure your risk vs your cost.

I bought my A6 at 37k and now have 140k. Replaced the alternator, clutch, and flywheel. Since it was chipped (and an alleged high speed run contributed to the clutch issue) and a clutch is usually considered maintenance, it probably would not have been covered. Excluding the clutch, the vehicle has only cost me $600 in real repairs (an alternator) over 4 years and 103k miles. But I maintain it very well, drive it conservatively, and do mostly highway driving (with a lot of trips through Ontario from MI, which is exactly what I am about to do tonight on my way to NY). Time to pick up more Alexander Keith's.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Haha, great, have fun on your trip.

Yes, I'm heavily considering staying away from 3rd party warranties...many seem to have hidden regulations, and even if they state something on the contract doesn't mean they must abide by it...they can be very sly. I think I will just do what many have done and simply put some money into savings just in case something does go wrong. I too will be using my car for casual driving. I mean come on...it's a 2006 A6, if I wanted to race I would have modded the heck out of an A4 or A6 of previous years. Thanks for all the advice guys, gotta love this forum.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

Audi doesn't "give" extended warranties but I am sure they'll sell one to you GThey had offered to sell me one to 100k miles for $3600 when I first bought my 04 A6, they are an extension of the manufacturer warranty. I passed due to $$ and I don't like going to Audi.
I purchased a warranty from Continental and it has been awesome! Never any issues or questions... actually I don't even havew to deal wiht them, my mechanic calls them with diagnostic and his quote, they give me the ok and pay him directly. I pay my $50 deductible. They have covered several repairs for me including Alternator, both CV boots, all coil packs, Auxiliary water pump, A/C pulley.... Love them!! It was 2400 for 100k miles/6 yrs, includes Quattro and Turbo. Payment plan available.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Guide to finding something worthwhile: WarrantyReports.com Aftermarket Auto Warranty Information.