Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXTENDED WARRANTY - WORTH IT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Default EXTENDED WARRANTY - WORTH IT?

Hello! I just bought a 2001 A6 2.7T with 37000 miles on it. It has factory warranty remaining for another 10 months. This is my third Audi so I know how costly some things can be for them but... I am not familiar with the A6 2.7T as far as "break down occurances". If there is an Audi Tech in the Forum that could guide me it would be greatly appreciated - should I purchase and extended warranty for $2500 for an additional 60K and 4 years or should I just bank the cash and hope for the best? Thanks!!

Ed

Old 08-06-2004, 03:49 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: EXTENDED WARRANTY - WORTH IT?

That price is right on the border of "should I or shouldn't I" when it comes to the 2.7T engine. You may get a long life from the turbos or you may not. Personally, I'd do it, but if you can be true to your word, and bank the money for the potential need later on, then I'd do that. You'll have to add around five hundred bucks every year so that you will have twice that in 4 years. If the turbos blow and they need to be replaced, your cost will be huge - at least $5K. Of course this is the gamble: Will the turbos last only a couple of years or will they outlast your ownership?

Old 08-09-2004, 01:30 AM

Thank you for the advice. Looks like its time to sell the "crotch-rocket" (my wife will be thrilled) and be responsible and buy something useful like the warranty! It seems like cheap insurance in the long run. Even though I am meticulous with maintenance, you never know when "stuff" is gonna happen!

Old 10-18-2004, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

Regarding aftermarket warrenties. Shop around and negotiate the price. Read the policy very carefully. There is no gaurantee that the compnay will pay the claims. Either they just avoid paying, make you jump through hoops, or can go bankrupt. And don't think the the "back-up" insurance company is going to jump right in start bustin out checks for policy holders. I bought one and the company went bankrupt. Luckily my policy was sold to a solvent company before the originator went BKO. Others were not so fortunate.
That being said my warrenty has worked out well, except for some disputes over pre-existing condtions of some ball-joints.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:18 PM

is that the audi assured warrenty or the aftermarket one cause the aftermarket ones are not even worth the paper that they are wrighten on they don't cover anything trust me

Old 10-27-2004, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

seeing how the car has such low mileage, i think its expensive to extend the warranty. just make sure u keep up with the regular maintence and u should be fine. but if u think its worth it then do it bc it is pricey once the audis start breaking down.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

I was in that situation. I bought a car from a non Audi dealer and they try to sell me a $5000 warranty added to the price of the car. After talking to an Audi dealer I was told that in some cases I have to pay first and claim from them. There is also a $100 deductable for every warranty claim, so I waived the warrranty. So far, I spent $2500 on things that was done and $200 was warranty work. I strongly suggest keeping the money and put it in the bank.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

NO! My warrenty was not through Audi. That is a different product and situation. Like any insuance product, you have to factor in the cost and payout process on claims. Go read your homeowners policy, you might be surprised what it does not cover and that the amount you would be paid might not be the value of the house. The company I use has paid around 1500 in claims with only minor delays. The dealer calls them and they give the dealer a credit card number for the amount of the repair. I have to pay a $50 deductable per claim. That can take a few hours and two times they have wanted to inspect the vehicle, which took an extra day. I have a back up car, so that is not an issue for me.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

Warranty Direct

Advertised on edmunds, fairly cheap, cover turbo but not twins