Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F what ya heard, oil is recycled

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Default F what ya heard, oil is recycled

http://www.worldwise.com/recmotoil1.html

I've seen a few postings about "Which oil is better" Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Ext...... "Full Synthetic vs.Blend"......( I use Castrol or Valvoline, whatevers on sale, I'm not even gonna front). It all boils down to personal prefernce anyway. I understand the car needs Synthetic, but so what if it's full or blend, its still Synthetic.....Oil is oil, take the name off and you still got oil, people wanna act like its a difference but it's really not, it's all recycled anyway, it just gets dirty,it never wears out, just cleaned up a lil bit and BAM, back on the shelf.....NO, I'm not sayin you don't needa oil change, I'm basically sayin.....SO WHAT

Like 2 years ago I was buying oil for my Infiniti I30 and this kat that works at Wal-mart told me " it dont matter which one you buy, it's all send back and recycled anyway", so I looked it up.......I was like Damn, people at Wal-Mart do know a lil summ'em.....just thought I show yall wuz up........

The linkis up top, it might say the oil in 1997 was recycled, but what makes you think there still not doin it now?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: F what ya heard, oil is recycled

Interesting - it makes a strong case for recycling (with which I agree), but points out that only 14% of re-refined oil was used in vehicles. I guess it depends on what you are driving. I know my Yard Man tractor is perfectly happy with 30W and doesn't care if it is virgin or re-refined. And my wife's 99 Villager probably doesn't care either.

However, my 05 Crossfire (with the Mercedes 3.2l engine) stipulates Mobil1 0W-40 or the warranty is voided.

And I'm going to be damn careful what kind of oil I use to lubricate my turbos, which spin at 000's of rpm and would cost $3 grand to replace. I stick to Mobil10W-20 in the winter and 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the summer. You can use whatever oil you want.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

You did actually read the information you posted didn't you Cappachinoo?

Reprocessing is the most common method of recycling used oil in the United States. Each year 750 million gallons of used oil are reprocessed. Seventy-five percent of used oil is being reprocessed and marketed to:
[ul][*]43% asphalt plants[*]14% industrial boilers (factories)[*]12% utility boilers (electric power plants for schools, homes, etc.)[*]12% steelmills[*]5% cement/lime kilns[*]5 % marine boilers (tankers or bunker fuel)[*]4% pulp and paper mills[*]1% commercial boilers (generating heat for school, offices, etc.)[*]5% other. [/ul]
Eleven percent of used motor oil collected is used in specially designed space heaters in automotive bays and municipal garages across the country. Approximately 75,000 space heaters use about 113 million gallons of used oil per year (this use is not recommended for residential homes).
[...]

Fourteen percent of used oil collected is re-refined into its original virgin oil state and sold for reuse in our automobiles.
It also should be noted that re-refined oil will say so on the package.....so no - when you buy a case of Mobil 1 you aren't getting recycled oil. Not that there is anything wrong with it of course - because once it is refined and cleaned I'm quite sure it would be just fine.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

That is so untrue it's not even funny. Yea, all oil comes from the same place (crude). However the refinements & quality vary quite a bit. Also there are several types of oil. GRP 1-5, Paraffin, PAO, etc... Only the last 2 are synthetic, the others are different grades of dyno oil. Most oils differ in the quality & amount of additives. These keep the engine cleaner longer, change the viscosity, help stop sludge & many other things. This is also part of the reason, oil prices vary so much. A high end Synth will have Parraffin, or PAO, & then a very robust additive package. Oil, make a very big difference in your car!!

Recycled oil MUST say it's recycled, & it's also very, very cheap.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Costner..... why would I not read summ'em I posted, My point was Oil is Oil, thats it, Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol or whatever!!!! Please read the whole thing b4 you make a comment.

I'm just gonna point this out to you, you can read the whole thing again.

Purchase re-refined motor oil. For years, re-refined oil has been used throughout the United States with great success. The U.S. Postal Service has been using re-refined oil for nearly a decade in its fleet of almost 73,000 vehicles, and even Mercedes-Benz uses re-refined oil in its factory-new vehicles.

Re-refined oil gives the same quality and performance as virgin oil products while helping the environment in many ways. And because the price of re-refined oil is comparable to virgin oil, and in some cases costs less, there is no reason not to use it.

Today, re-refined motor oil and other lubricants for use in automotive and other internal combustion engines are virtually indistinguishable from and equivalent in appearance and quality to the virgin counterparts. They are subject to the same stringent refining, compounding and performance standards as virgin oil.

When purchasing a re-refined oil, check the label for the amount of re-refined oil the product contains. Some have as little as 25% re-refined oil mixed with virgin oil, others are formulated exclusively from 100% highly re-refined base oils and performance additives.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

I wouldn't buy a 50k car and then put re-refined oil in it. No matter what they said about it... just my 2 cents...

Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM

I wouldnt use it ether, they put re-refined oil in new Benz's, thats why they run like garbage after 50K miles.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cappachinoo

Costner..... why would I not read summ'em I posted, My point was Oil is Oil, thats it, Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol or whatever!!!! Please read the whole thing b4 you make a comment.
First, you need to keep in mind the goal of the website you are quoting is to get you to buy recycled oil....because that website is devoted to recycling.

Second, it was your original post that said "Oil is oil, take the name off and you still got oil, people wanna act like its a difference but it's really not, it's all recycled anyway". Thus you are implying ALL oil is recycled, which your very own source material proves is not the case.

Third,you simply cannot say "oil is oil". If you want to stick the $1.05 per quart Wal-Mart generic oil in your A6 by all means have at it, but it is NOT the same thing as a high quality synthetic. Real synthetics use a grade IV basestock and some sythetics use a grade III, but you can't recycle the oil and separate the sythetic from the dino oil and thus no high quality sythetic you will find is recycled.

There IS a difference. Maybe not a huge difference between grade III based synthetics, but between any sythetic and recycled oil? You bet. I wouldn't use recycled oil in anything that isn't relegated to cutting my lawn.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM

First off Costner, the goalfor "ME", not the website, "ME" was to let people know that no matter if its Mobil or whatever you wanna put into your cars, its still oil,... check out all the postings about which oil to use on this forum, thats the POINT is was getting at.

Second Costner, the POINT still stands, ALL oil is recycled, im sorry, cooking oil is not, and if you dumb your motor oil somewhere it's not......when you get your oil changed, what you think they do with it????

Third Costner, If you can use re-refined oil vs. virgin oil and its no "REAL" benifit, what make Mobil better then my $3.69 bottle of Castrol that I get at Wal-mart,SORRY, $1.05bottle of Castrol. Full Synthetic vs. Blend....the base word is still"Synthetic" If you wanna waste $6 on oil which is gonna be changes in 3 month anyway, Hey, I'm not gonna tell you how to spend your money.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Cappachinoo
Second Costner, the POINT still stands, ALL oil is recycled, im sorry, cooking oil is not, and if you dumb your motor oil somewhere it's not......when you get your oil changed, what you think they do with it????
You are very narrow minded. Cooking oil is in fact recycled, into guess what? Bio-disel. There is no way to recycle 100% of anything, no matter what you do, some will be lose some where.

Now all oil is the same, as I stated above, there are very different grades of base stock. I would really love to see the volatility of cheap recycled oil, I bet you get a major sludge problem with it & a turbo engine.

There are a ton of benefits of using a high end oil. Lets see, less wear on the engine, less heat, better MPG, cleaner engine, etc...

Not all oil is the same, that is like saying all meat is the same, or all cars are the same.......

Quick Reply: F what ya heard, oil is recycled