Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fading Dash Display

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Fading Dash Display

I might have a lead on a replacment instrument gauge cluster, but they need the original part number off the back of mine. Will I screw anything up if I take mine out and unhook it form the connections to get the part number and then re-connect and screw it back in? I don't think I would mess up the mileage or anything, would I?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

No, you'll be fine. The mileage is stored in the cluster and will not be erased by simply removing it. Just keep in mind that that the 2 phillips head screws are the most difficult part of removing the damned thing; if you snap one of those things off the cluster MAY not be accepted in trade.

If the new cluster remanufactured with 0 MI/KM on the odometer?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply, Sean. I actually pulled it out a couple of weeks ago and used the trusty Bosch cordless drill to get them out. I was hesitant to unplug things at that point, and could not get the part #. However (as posted in AudiWorld.com), I took it in for it's 60K checkup today and the local Indy had a VAG-COM and scanned it for me to get the part #. I sent an e-mail to the contact for a replacement. They actually sell used ones from parting out other Audis. The guy should be checking for me in the morning. The real kicker is I dropped one of those little damn screws when trying to screw it back in. Rolled down there somewhere. I haven't heard it rattling around, so I figure I just need a replacement screw along with any new (used) cluster. I'm planning on tearing the bottom of the dash out anyway here shortly to run some RCA outs to the trunk for an amp.

One question though, did you have any issues with getting the cluster back in at the right angle? It seems like mine shoudl be standing up a little more as I get a bit of a reflection of the sterring whell off of it now. It's such a pain in the *** to maneuver around in there though.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

The cluster should fit back exactly as it was prior to you removing it. It's a snug fit, so you may have to give it a little love in one or more directions before it's fully seated.

CAUTION: used clusters will show mileage from the donor vehicle. The monetary savings that you get with a used cluster is MORE than offset by the resale value hit you'll take on the car should there be any record of a change in recorded mileage. Think about it. Would you want to buy a car that shows a mileage discrepency in a carfax report? And, no, you CANNOT recode the mileage of a used cluster; the mileage can only be modified ONCE and only if the existing mileage on the odometer is less than 100 kilometers.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Well, that pretty much pisses on my parade. So, I take it the only option then is Clairparts.com to get a new one? If I remember correctly from your post, they're about $400? That's really not that much than the ballpark the used ones were going to be. I checked their website and did not see them listed initially. Would it be best to give them a call? Thanks for the tip btw.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Yes, call them. The website is pretty thin, but they're an Audi dealer so they have EVERYTHING. They'll probably want your VIN to make sure they get the right part number, but since you already have the part number the VIN probably isn't necessary.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Ok, thanks, Sean. Just talked with ClairParts, and they say that replacement is $625 + $300 core charge which is refundable upon returning the old one. Ouch!!! BUT, I got an e-mail back from the other source, and the one they have has 65K miles on it, about 3K more miles than my odometer, and is about $300 cheaper. I'm thinking if I swap them at the same mileage, it would be no harm, no foul. Any thoughts on this approach?

Old 03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Wow, that price has certainly jumped! God.

There's one flaw in your plan; the clairparts cluster is a remanufactured cluster which probably has a brand new LCD screen installed. The used 65k mile cluster has the original LCD screen and is more likely to require replacement sooner rather than later. The clairparts cluster also has a 1 year guarantee.

Your call.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking the same thing as well, but the other place has a 6 mo. warranty on theirs, but if it does go out again, what are the chances of finding another one with the right mileage that could swap it out at. What a pain in the ***. Don't know going to have to think about this one. I guess I could go the cheaper route and if it does fade, but nothing else is available, then order the one from ClairParts, but then them I'm paying net $900 vs. $600 one-time shot. Decisions, decisions...

Or I could just not do anything, but that type of stuff annoys me...

Old 03-24-2006, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Good luck with the decision. I know which way I would go, but you have to do what's right for you and your wallet.

Quick Reply: Fading Dash Display