Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fan stoped blowing :(. Any idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Default The fan stoped blowing :(. Any idea?

I have Audi A6 1998 with 178xxx and I love it. Couple weeks ago the fan whatever is under deshboard stoped blowing. It was making funny noise past 6 month, then was stopping time by time and finaly stoped. I feel that the sensor is coming on wile I turn the AC on and the coolant fan is starting running, on display I put maximum fan speed but I can't feel anything. Does anyboby have any idea what it can be. How expensive is to replase whatever is that?

Thank you. Mike

Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

I think you are referring to the blower motor which on the c5 platform was behind the dash. Year and model info please? Its not a hard part to get at, I just recently pulled mine out, cleaned it, oiled the shaft and stuck it back it. Stopped a squeeky sound when on low settings. If its totally shot you could probably get a new one for around 300$ or I would just get a used on from a junkyard or one of the guys parting out cars here and give it a good cleaning and some oil, maybe half the price of a new one.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM

Thank you jhuffman, that was very helpful. My Audi is A6, 1998, 2.8Quatro. Do you think "regular man" with some direction can replace that part? Or it have to be done is bodyshop?

Mike

Old 03-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah its an easy job, just drop the glove box and there is three screws holding it in. Anyone can change it with a set of metric tools.

EDIT: Why the hell would a body shop do that? LOL

Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

Agreed, its one of the simpler quick fixes for the c5. Two screws are in the top lip of the glove box (open it and look up) and the other one (maybe two? I dont remember) is in the foot well. crawl in and look up. They are 10mm if I remember correctly, just pull the whole cover off and its in the big black housing on the right side. Unplug the connectors first (disconnect battery to be safe, have stereo code on hand) and there are three screws or bolts holding the housing in. I don't remember what exactly they were but they might be behind some wires, theres a few big wire bundles under there. Just move those around, dont jerk them but you can be firm. Pull the cover off and its sitting right there. Pull it out and spray it down with electrical cleaner, Mine had a brown river flowing out the bottom, it was awful. I soaked the blade cylinder in a dish of soapy water then used a pipe cleaner to clean between the blades. Make sure everything is totally dried out, put a few drops of machine oil on the shaft from the bottom and spin it around so it sinks in. Then pop it back in, easy as pie.

Hope this helps, oh and for full effect replace your cabin air filter too, also super easy.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

C5 is mucho easier than the C4 --

Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 AM

Thanks a lot for such a detailed explanation. I'll try to find used a part and replace by myself. Does it cold the blower motor, is that the proper name? Is it a good ilea to buy offmarket auto parts?
I need to replace he rear break pads, I think it won't be hard to do that, The mechanic told me $180 for parts and labor. As I know there are break pads in AutoZone for about $40-$50.

Thank you.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Why are you going to replace it when it might be fixed with a bit of cleaning and oil?

as for the rear brake pads -- read some of the posts in this forum to learn how it is done. The rears require turning the piston as you push it in and it is complicated by the e-brake.

By the way I hope you don't break your brake pads...

Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Thank you NH_USA.
Fan is not blowing for the last 2-3 weeks. Today I had my AC on just because on freeway when I'm driving my car 65-70mph then some air is coming in(even now when fan is not working). When I got on freeway I had my window opened and the fan started running. That means fan is not completly dead so I can fix it, right? That cleaner is recomended to clean it. I think I'll try to open my desh tomorrow, let see what I can do.
Mike

Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Thank you everybody. Finally I fixed the fan. Was easyer then I thought. I cleaned the fan with electrical cleaner spray and oil it. The fan started running. There is one problem, oil smell keeps coming in even already 3-4 days are gone since I fixed it. Any idea what to do? Is there any smell "remover".
Mike

Quick Reply: The fan stoped blowing :(. Any idea?