Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first car.....02 A6 2.7T....mod it up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Default first car.....02 A6 2.7T....mod it up?

Hi all....new to forum...first post. I just boughtmy firstcar...an automatic02 A6 2.7T with 80k miles on it and was wondering if its worth it to add mods to increase the hp. I plan on driving it for 6-7 years and am wondering how many miles i can get on this car.....I've been told that over 220k is possible if you take care of it...not sure if that's true.

I looked at previous posts and found that I'll need to chip it up to get 50-60 hp using the APR chip about $600
http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/e...ade_a627t.html
or the GIAC chip for $500 found here at
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...CTipChips27t42
I've read that the GIAC is a more aggressive chip but its basically 50/50 on which one to get. I've read some about ECU and TCU chips but still don't know if i need both? or just the ECU? Still doing research and not entirely sure of the differences.

Bailey Motorsport Diverter Valves...about $165
http://www.eurosportacc.com/diverter.htm

APR Bi-Pipe for about $350(anything cheaper but still quality out there?)which eliminates any and all reliability issues of the 2.7T throttle body boot. http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/bipipe.html
or the Samco TBB for $68 found here http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...IL=Samco%20TBB
Samco is much cheaper, but what are the limitations on it compared to the APR Bi-Pipe?

So I'm looking at spending $1200, which I'm willing to do, but I just want to make sure its money well spent.
tx for the help

Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Default RE: first car.....02 A6 2.7T....mod it up?

anyone help?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Modding is fine, but since this is my daily driver, an 03 2.7T, I will resist the temptation. The car performs very nicely stock and I don't have to worry about increasing the potential for damage.

Good luck w/whatever you decide. I don't know your budget, but I'd save that $1200 for upcoming maintenance like the timing belt and such.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: muphasta

Modding is fine, but since this is my daily driver, an 03 2.7T, I will resist the temptation. The car performs very nicely stock and I don't have to worry about increasing the potential for damage.

Good luck w/whatever you decide. I don't know your budget, but I'd save that $1200 for upcoming maintenance like the timing belt and such.
More like $2800 if done correctly.
Aconsuma just so you know what your getting into if you chip your vehicle your gonna shorten the life of your turbos a bit, other than that replacing your DV's is good, exhaust upgrade is well deserved with a chip as well as downpipes if you wanna make some serious power.
Another note, if/when your turbos go your looking at 30 hours of labor to get them replaced and about 3 grand to up-grade to k04's which is actually cheaper than putting k03's back on.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 AM

yeah i guess that makes sense.....no need to rush into it i guess. I love the car stock just figured I'd love it a little bit more with more hp. I'll drive it around a bit and save up my money. Hopefully next time i'll have some extra cash to blow and I'll buy a two year old car and mod it up. I'm still interested in hearing any reponse the the other questions i asked in the first post. tx for the help

Old 10-06-2007, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear

I'll chime in.. regarding the maintenance, first aof all, what has been done to it thus far. I hope that at 80k miles, the prior owner did the big 75k service and replaced the water pump and TB. if not you're in for a pretty siginificant expense and I would not wait loner to get it done.
The coil packs and auxiliary water pump under the intake alsmot always go bad on our cars...
If you're udner warranty then no problems, they'll pay for these like they paid for mine. I have ALL new coilpacks and they are obnly 40-50$ each but labor is a pain if they do themone at a time. I just did the Aux water pump yesterday, part is 110 but labor can be 2 hours on a tip. The big TB service runs 1000 to 2000 depending on shops depending on what I have seen on line, and is NOT covereved under warranty of course. YOu need that done if it was not done yet. If this was done, then you can spend a little $ on mods
APR Chip is real nice, drivabilityis good, Hp and Torque gains are amazing, andit iseasier on turbos, but still will put more strain on your engine parts thanstock... of course. Though it remains pretty reliable. Just make sure you get better DV's and abipipe oraftermarket TBB part. I like the Bipipe but it is pricier.
My buddy has the APR chip, all programs, and stays stock daily, just switch to 93 oct or 100oct when he goes on a ride or wants to play around... the cruise control switch helps be flexible and only run chipped when you want to.
I wouldn't spend $ on aftermarket DP's but instead have Piggies made, themost famous are VAST. $335 shipped. Great upgrade for power but also for turbo reliability IMO as they decrease temp..
One of my favorite mod which will not impact reliability but is MUCH needed in ourcars is the HSPOR sway bars. our cars are heavy and roll. The sways just chnage the car even with stock suspensions.. great handling improvement, I think they are350-400 bbucks plus labor (2hrs??)
Another one is the rear deck lid lip spoiler from the S line or RS6.
A cheap DIY isdebadging.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:38 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Aconsuma just so you know what your getting into if you chip your vehicle your gonna shorten the life of your turbos a bit, other than that replacing your DV's is good, exhaust upgrade is well deserved with a chip as well as downpipes if you wanna make some serious power.
Another note, if/when your turbos go your looking at 30 hours of labor to get them replaced and about 3 grand to up-grade to k04's which is actually cheaper than putting k03's back on.
Quotes like this from one of our resident tech guys, although honest enough, make me want to leave my car alone and sell it in the not too distant future. I have 61 k on my car and have the TB service coming up. Then, many people say the turbos go anywhere between now and 100k. I bought the car with 58k on it and it was previously a CPO that I transferred to me until March 2008. I am just wondering if this car is going to turn into a big piggy bank, even if I keep her stock. I can't afford another money pit that spends more time in the shop than running right. Been there, done that. If I could swing it, the new Mitsu Evo X is looking pretty sweet with the 5 yr/60k mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k mile powertrain.

I'm glad I'm getting good info here, but the old saying ignorance is bliss would have applied for me. I really like the A6 and seem to like it more and more. Ok- I guess I'll end my rant here. I just feel that a lot of posts I read here talk about how expensive stuff on these cars break all the time. Not acceptable in my book.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Four Ring Circus

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Quotes like this from one of our resident tech guys, although honest enough, make me want to leave my car alone and sell it in the not too distant future. I have 61 k on my car and have the TB service coming up. Then, many people say the turbos go anywhere between now and 100k. I bought the car with 58k on it and it was previously a CPO that I transferred to me until March 2008. I am just wondering if this car is going to turn into a big piggy bank, even if I keep her stock. I can't afford another money pit that spends more time in the shop than running right. Been there, done that. If I could swing it, the new Mitsu Evo X is looking pretty sweet with the 5 yr/60k mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k mile powertrain.

I'm glad I'm getting good info here, but the old saying ignorance is bliss would have applied for me. I really like the A6 and seem to like it more and more. Ok- I guess I'll end my rant here. I just feel that a lot of posts I read here talk about how expensive stuff on these cars break all the time. Not acceptable in my book.
I think the word you're looking for is "German" engineering.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Let me just chime in here. First of all the a6 is much more of a daily driver than the new evo. That being said, the a6 is a very reliable car. Most of the turbos last a long time its the ones that have been chipped that die early or that have not been properly cared for. We have some members that have over 150k on there stock turbos. IDK unless you plan on hitting the track id keep the a6 since it is much nicer on the inside than any EVO. Just my opinions, I dont think Evo's and STI's are practical because they are not real nice cars they are just fast (more so the STI) and they belong on the track (more so the EVO). Audi brings track performance to the road. Honestly nobody needs a car any faster than a stock 2.7t a6 for any road.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

I would not call the A6 reliable as much as I love mine... control arms, water pumps, expansion tanks, tie rods, coil packs, window regulators and clips, instrument panel issues,A/C and lighth ***** falling apart, bad DVs, bad TBB... the list goes on... all going bad at what I consider early stages, low miles, prematurily... it is frankly ridiculous for a$45k car! and a german one at that! but somehow I love mine!