Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Distance Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default First Long Distance Trip

So I took my "new" 99 A6 wagon (has 150,000 miles) on a 1,000 mile trip over Xmas, and my impressions are mixed. For one, the seat bottoms are very uncomfortable after about the first hour of driving, they seem to have been designed for someone with a wide backside, and they don't seem to have much padding at all. The lumbar support is OK (after fixing it with zip ties), but not as comfortable as a baloon type support. The engine seemed to do OK, the tranny on the other hand was not so good. It seemed to hunt for gears occasionally, and didn't want to downshift when needed. Also it shifts into 5th gear a little harsh, but the other gears are smooth, almost too smooth. I had an issue with the blower, for some reason it wouldn't work, then I put the rear window down a little to get some air flow and all of a sudden the blower came on and has worked since. The Bose radio sucks, that's about all I can say about it. The ride is surprisingly nice on the open road, but there are groans coming from somewhere when making sharp turns. Steering is way too light in this car, and the turning radius is very large. One annoying thing I've noticed is there isn't much room for a normal sized shoe for the gas pedal. My shoe kept constantly getting hung up on the brake pedal when I'd go to take my foot off the gas, which could be dangerous if I was trying to hit the brake quick. Gas mileage was decent, about 25 MPG. The cruise worked good, after resoldering the capacitors in the module, although the button seems to be a little flaky and needed to be pushed in a certain way for it to work. All in all, I guess for a $2,000 car I can't complain, but when comparing this car to my BMW which is a year older and has 50,000 more miles, the BMW wins hands down, it is so much more responsive and comfortable to drive, and is built much better than the Audi.