Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front caliper removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Ya can't get an impact wrench on those 21 mm bolts - not enough room..

Use the super stuff -- PB Blaster.

It dosen't hurt to add a bit of naval jelly so you can have PB & Jelly.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Ya can't get an impact wrench on those 21 mm bolts - not enough room..

Use the super stuff -- PB Blaster.

It dosen't hurt to add a bit of naval jelly so you can have PB & Jelly.
Lol, good stuff right there...
One of the bolts is blocked by the bleeder on top of the caliper. It's an allen head bolt, so I'm assuming that is not the one I need to be concerned with. I'm going to have to hunt down a 7mm hex bit to remove the pins. I know Germans have a reputation for great engineering, but seems like they make some of this stuff much more complicated than it needs to be. I am focusing on my TB replacement right now, parts should be here tomorrow and I want to get it done first as I need to send the tool rentals back to Blau. Hopefully my Bently will be here by the time I finish the TB job. Lot's of effort to replace a stupid TB on these cars. American cars are much easier to work on, but they don't compare to the ride and overall quality of the Audi's.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 68jcode
Lol, good stuff right there...
One of the bolts is blocked by the bleeder on top of the caliper. It's an allen head bolt, so I'm assuming that is not the one I need to be concerned with. I'm going to have to hunt down a 7mm hex bit to remove the pins. I know Germans have a reputation for great engineering, but seems like they make some of this stuff much more complicated than it needs to be. I am focusing on my TB replacement right now, parts should be here tomorrow and I want to get it done first as I need to send the tool rentals back to Blau. Hopefully my Bently will be here by the time I finish the TB job. Lot's of effort to replace a stupid TB on these cars. American cars are much easier to work on, but they don't compare to the ride and overall quality of the Audi's.
For your reference, 70% of a typical dealer income comes from maintenance, not sales... Why do you think that they make it really hard to work on?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Default Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T

So I have been scouring and came across this thread. I think I have a similar problem since a 7MM hex will not go into anything when I am trying to remove the caliper. I have a A4 B6 and the 7MM is spot on but when I put the wrench in it just slides all they way back ( a couple of inches). When you look at it, it is completely round bolt and the the inside where the Hex goes is completely round too. I thought maybe it was stripped but it is that way on all four of the front and it too smooth to be stripped. Any thoughts?!? I have done countless brake jobs and can not figure this one out. I see the large 21MM bolts that hold the caliper to the axle hub and the triple square bolts that appear to hold the caliper assembly together (top blocked by bleeder screw). I am trying to replace the rotors and calipers but am not having any luck. Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks,
N

Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Did you ever find out what to fit the round caliper bolt with? I was trying to replace my front rotors and pads yesterday and I ran into the same problem.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

I stumbled onto this thread after posting mine: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=151582

So to confirm, I need to remove the 21 mm hex head bolts to remove the caliper so I can swap the rotors. Any hints on how to get enough leverage on the upper bolt to loosen it?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
3rd Gear

OK -- you guys that think the hex is a round bolt pay attention --

I thought I had the same problem when I looked at removing the slider bolt on our Dodge Caravan brakes this weekend. My first thought was -Holy Crap I've got the same problem the Audi Forum guys were talking about. Then I got out my strong light and mirror to get a close look. I clearly saw what looked like a round hole but when I looked closer I could see thay the hex flats were down a bit deeper.

So my reccomendation is to get a good set of hex keys bothe mm and inch that go on a 3/8 drive and have at it. Sometimes the hex is cridded up a bit so you need some gente persuation to ge it in.