Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Default Front Shock Replacement

Hello everyone. I'm looking to replace my front shocks. They are fairly worn and the driver's side is starting to leak. I want to change them over to Koni or KYB.

I was wondering how this process works. I see where the shock mounts below, but how about the upper part. I noticed two bolts under the hood which seem like the mounting positions.

Are there any pics online detailing this process?
Thanks!
Joe Forza

Old 07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Front Shock Replacement

This is a good How To: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel49.shtml
BTW you can't go wrong with Koni's they are awesome.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Front Shock Replacement

There are three green bolts with large washers under the hood for each strut. Remove those then take out the pinch bolt (2 in image)holding the upper links to the steering arm and bang that out. Pry out the clip holding the tower in (1 if its still there).You can take the tie rod end off the steering arm too if you want for easier access. Let the stut drop down, un-bolt the bottom bolt and swing the strut out. Just make sure you take it to a shop that has a spring compressor to release the tower from the strut or you might end up in the hospital un-loading the spring in your face.