Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing diagonse

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Default front wheel bearing diagonse

From reading through the forum, I realize the humming noise coming from my front end would probably be the wheel bearing. However I am just wondering why it is like that. Mine has a humming noise from the front as soon as the car starts moving, it becomes louder when I turn left, no noise when I turn right. At first I though it was because my CV ( I had to change the boot) but there is no clicking sound as others described.

How do I tell which side of the bearing is gone? I suspect it is the front passenger side, but still like to have you experts to confirm and educate me alittle bit. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:25 AM
SSn
1st Gear
Default RE: front wheel bearing diagonse

You don't replace a single bearing. Anyway if you sure it's bearings you will get both done.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

I would just get one done.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:43 AM

what is the rational for getting both sides done?

and still, how do I tell which side should be replaced if get one done?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wings7351

From reading through the forum, I realize the humming noise coming from my front end would probably be the wheel bearing. However I am just wondering why it is like that. Mine has a humming noise from the front as soon as the car starts moving, it becomes louder when I turn left, no noise when I turn right. At first I though it was because my CV ( I had to change the boot) but there is no clicking sound as others described.

How do I tell which side of the bearing is gone? I suspect it is the front passenger side, but still like to have you experts to confirm and educate me alittle bit. Thanks in advance.
jack up one side of the car so your wheel's off the ground and grab at top and bottom and try to see if there's any play. there shouldn't be any, and if there is, definitely a wheel bearing. if the sound changes as you described, then i'm 99.9% sure it's a wheel bearing. they're not hard to replace at all, very very simple, and not too expensive either.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:27 PM
SSn
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mustang196718

jack up one side of the car so your wheel's off the ground and grab at top and bottom and try to see if there's any play.
I thought this is how you check for bad ball joints =)

When you do any suspentions work it's recommended to do whole axle.
Bearings arn/t so expensive, and I assume it's not difficult to replace. I did not look into that when I removed my hub to repair CV joint, but there is probably just a large circlip holding the bearing in the hub.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

A general rule is( once you are sure if it's the rear or front bearing) the noise intensifies when you turn the wheel to the opposite side (ie. turn left, noise get's louder-> right side bearing and vice versa).

Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the inputs. What made me worries about is that last time when I worked on the CV boot, I had a hard time to remove any one of the control arms. To change the bearing, I would have to disconnect them all to get the knuckle out. My fear is that if it is that hard to disconnect, then I might just damage the ball joints during the work. Anyone has suggestion to make the job easier?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:00 PM
SSn
1st Gear

Are you talking about two top ones connected together with one bolt? I had to drill that damed bolt out =)))) If you took it off once it should not be a problem anymore... Well, if you did one side - the other side will be. They should come out fine when the bolt is out. Spray some wd-40 in there and hammer them out with a punch from the bottom (instead of separator fork). Also put some graphite greasee in there when you put things back together.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Since you guys are the experts, so can you please comment. I am looking at a tool on the ebay to remove and install the bearing without disassemble all the control arms. It says it will do the job without taking the knuckle out. Is it real?

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing diagonse