Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump help: wiring problem??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel pump help: wiring problem??

car has been flaky, losing power/stumbling/stalling/not-starting, then later starting sporadically for a few weeks now.

spark is good.

fuel delivery volume was tested and was in spec...i powered the pump at the fuse box.

haven't done fuel pressure checks since i don't have the fittings to connect into the fuel lines properly.

recently not starting at all, i can give 12 volts right at the pump terminals and get the pump going, but now when i try at the fuse box i get nothing. resistance at the fuse box wasn't open completely but really high ohms.

would a faulty relay cause these type of problems or would it be just something wrong with wires? no idea how these wires are routed...any ideas?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

make model motor? DTC?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

2000 2.8l atq.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

what sort of resistance should i see at the fuse panel?

i get 1 ohm right at the pump.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 AM
2nd Gear

You should almost the same resistance at the pump and at the relay. A bad relay won't cause your issues. A bad relay will cause a hard no start condition. But, just to eliminate the possibility, jumper the relay with some test wires and give the car a drive. If it runs fine, replace the relay. If it still acts up, move on.

You should get the fittings and test your pump pressure as this is the most likely cause of your problems.

Then again, there is the chance it is an electrical issue with one of your sensors. You should hook up a VAG-COM scanner and watch the sensor values as you drive to make sure they seem reasonable.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

well now the car is not starting at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

which sensors would you look at? i'd have to find someone with vag-com...i only have one of those readers for the basic fault codes, and nothing is coming up for a fault on that

Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

also....why can i not see my posts in the A6 forum...i have to go to my profile to find my threads

Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

You have to sort the threads by Last Post Date, Descending in order to get your posts to the top. This is a recent bug in the AudiForums system that they are ignoring.

If you do have a basic tool such as a VAG-COM (buy the eBay cable and download the RossTech software), you aren't going to be able to analyze your issue or give us enough information to even point you in a reasonable direction. If you are in a hurry to get the car running, its time to bite the bullet and have it towed to a mechanic. If not, order a cable and the connections to test your fuel pressure.

Bob

Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

electrical gremlins are the bane of my existence. I'm just going to throw this out there but check the fuel filter. If its really clogged it could be causing some issues and its a simple enough thing to check. It doesn't seem to me like its the fuel pump as you said it passed the jump test and delivered enough fuel. Do you have fuel in the cylinders? Check the spark plugs after a few no starts and see if they are wet. If they are its probably something else.

as far as the threads go... no idea there. Try changing the sort order as its stuck in a PITA way.

Quick Reply: fuel pump help: wiring problem??