Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin or Tom-Tom...GPS hook-up A6...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Garmin or Tom-Tom...GPS hook-up A6...?

I want to incorporate a GPS on my 97 A6 Quattro. Based on a previous install, 87 MB 300-D, it was required to tap a speed sensor, Hall-Effect sensor, or other speed sensing monitors.

Question, Has anybody installed as GPS to their Audi car, and where and what did you have to do to tap a speed wire?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Garmin or Tom-Tom...GPS hook-up A6...?

Pioneers. Im not sure if you have to tap in to the speed line i cant really remember. But check out PIONEER great products i couldnt have asked for more!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

i got tom tom c720. Nice device.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 AM
1st Gear

You shouldn't have to tap into a vss or speed sensor wire for any portable gps system, the internal or optional external GPS antenna should work in about any vehicle application. Some high end units like the dedicated $1600.00 dvd based nav. from alpine (nve-n872a) has an option to hook up a vss wire to make it more accurate, but it isn't necessary to do so nor would you ever know the difference without it. Well... unless you plan to do a lot of underground driving.

Almost all newer A6's or any other model should have a vss wire behind the radio on the factory harness. It should be labeled on a diagram on the radio itself, just incase you needed to use it which you probally won't.

Pioneer does make the most cost effective GPS all in one unit but make sure that if you get one that it plays dvd's too because some of the older models diddnt and some of the newer ones will not let you play a dvd if the gps antenna senses that you are in motion. There may be a hack for it but I heard that it may involve soldering 2 contacts together on the board (depends on the model). Alpine for example uses hand break and foot brake wires that can be used to bypass with a TR-7(programmible relay) made by PAC.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Hounds is right! I have the Pioneer N2 i believe is the model and you can watch dvds. But once the GPS antenna notices ur movement over like 5mph is shuts the video off. Its really all for safety purposes i suppose but i no that i wouldnt be dumb enough to watch a movie and drive at the same time. But im sure some other idiot has tried and failed so thats why there is the saftey feature now.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:54 AM

if your watching a video your not watching the road ( its not against the law for a passenger ) but for the driver its stupid and there is a box waiting and if you survive and kill the others?? well its says its own story ( long time no see )

Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

Actually, in California if there is any "live or moving" video source other than a back-up camera or other safety aids in view of the driver, it is illegal. It doesn't matter if the video is on and only the passanger is watching it you're still guilty. Knock on wood I havent been caught yet. BTW you do get used to the screen after awhile and don't get distracted as easily as you may think.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

As far as the Pioneer N2 there is a bypass solution.

OK, we figured out the real way to bypass the lockouts on the new Pioneer nav systems. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything. This bypass will do two things:

1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they
should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving

AVIC-N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this
back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of
solder between these to connect them.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires
out. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector.
Put this wire into the open spot on the connector, connect it to
ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1."

The instructions talk about solder bridging a resistor point on the N2 unit, and attaching a grounding point on the harness for a D1 unit.

The lockout is software triggered since it overrides settings on older avic units like the Avic 88 DVD which relied on brake grounding to display video, usually permanently overridden..

I was reading the google post earlier..just a matter of time before it propogates here..

Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM

I have the Shark fin on the top of my car. Does anyone know what would I need to get the navto display in the system box between the RPM and speedometer? Iknow I would need the nav controlls thatsuppost to be near the e-break. Is there anythingelse I would need?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

It's not possible to get navigation in that box that shows your other information. Due to time and wear that particular area starts to pixelate the red letters and numbers, common on Audi's.
As for the navigation, there are OEM units that replaces your stock CD player. This unit is the same size and fits perfectly. It has the color monitor and so on just like other stock navigation systems, so the buttons are on the actual unit. Everything is plug and play but a used unit can run you a bit. FYI just make sure you get the Navigation CD rom with the set up if you decide to.

Quick Reply: Garmin or Tom-Tom...GPS hook-up A6...?