Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox oil leaking, is normal says mechanic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Default Gearbox oil leaking, is normal says mechanic!

Had my Audi A6 gearbox repaired but noticed that there is some oil leaking. The mechanic who did the job explained me that there is probable too much oil in the gearbox and this is overflowing. This is now going on for more than a week and it dirties my parking area. I understood that there isn't a real gearbox oil level like the engine has.

Does this make sense, is there a overflow system or is there a leakage in one of the seals?

Ed

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear

This dosen't make sense -
He should have put the correct amount in.

Please give us details about the motor year etc.

Some of the shft rowers will be able to help.

But it dosen't sound right to me.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear

When I purchased my A6 it was still under warranty, so I brought it in for dealer service. They claimed there was a slight leak from the rear transmission seal and repaired it. No noticeable oil leak then, nor in the last 120k miles. But it could be the source of your problem. Dealer claimed it was a common problem.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 PM

By "gearbox", to what are you referring? Are you referring to the automatic or manual transmission? There are also the front, rear and center differentials if you have AWD. The engine also may be leaking oil. So, you may need to have the car inspected to find out what is leaking, unless you do it yourself. Did you get a 90 day warranty on the repair? Do you have a written copy of the warranty?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Site Moderator

Sounds like you have a mechanic that doesn't work at audi. All of those drive seals commonly leak, but it "CAN'T" leak after its repaired. Its sealed, even if it were over filled it can't leak.
1) He screwed up the repair or
2) Its leaking from a different seal.

Either way, you need a new mechanic.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Default automatic gear

Sorry for the delay as I have some zone time difference with the US.

The Audi is from 2000 A6 2.4L automatic gear (EU) version, not AWD. I'm talking about the part behind the engine, a big block and sit under the shift. It caries also the electronic gear switches.

Ok let me start from the beginning, what happened because it smell fishy.

I had my car send for repair as my brakes were blocked. I couldn't drive the car anymore so they had to pick it up. They changed the ABS break booster. After only 4km driving I noticed a lot of smoke which came from my car. Pulling over I saw a lot of oil on the road. After being recovered they told me my gearbox had a problem. I was surprised that the oil came out so easily and suspected they had tampered the oil fitting or filter. But I couldn't prove it.

I was already driving for more than a year with a bad responding gearbox but thought, one more year and I will trash this car. Nevertheless the $$ crisis decided me to repair it, so all together I was prepared when they informed me about replacing the gearbox.

After the repair, I had several visits back as it wasn't perfect. For example it changed gear on the wrong moment. They haven't replaced parts with new but used the parts from another type Audi gearbox which they explained is the same. A new gearbox would be very expensive, this repair only about 800USD. They recently replaced the OIL booster of the gearbox which solved the last problem.

Now it seems to be OK expect for the OIL leaking. I also thought that OIL cannot be leaked from a gearbox as it is a closed compartment.

regards,
Ed

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear

Oil leaking from an automatic is not normal and a big problem.

Your taking a short cut by using parts from a different gearbox didn't work..

Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
4th Gear

I agree w/ auditech - find another mechanic.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM

nothing is supposed to leak, that being said show me a boat that doesn't leak.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

My fiberglass boat did not leak!

I filled it with water and nothing leaked out. LOL

Seriously - The only time I got water in it was the time I stuffed the bow in a big wave near the Isle of Shoals and that was not a leak.

Quick Reply: Gearbox oil leaking, is normal says mechanic!