Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generator light stays on...02 A6 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Generator light stays on...02 A6 2.7T

It all happened so fast! I was driving to work today and I noticed that the ASR/ESP indicator light was flashing along with the ABS light. The radio also stopped working as I got to work. At lunch I started everything up and went for a drive, the indicator lights starting flashing again. So on my way home from work I started the AC as it was HOT out and noticed that there was no cool air at all. Things seemed to be going down hill from there. Luckily I was on my way to O'Reilly's to get a floor jack and stands along with brake pads as the car died right there at the store parking lot. Seems as the battery was bad. Had them test it and yep it was bad. So I bought the only battery left that worked for the Audi and installed it right there. Everything seemed fine except the generator light now stays on, but no other flashing lights or anything. What is making that light stay on always?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear

sounds like your alternator is bad. The idiots should have known to test that for you. Your battery can't power the car for long without being recharged.

Test your alt, either have someone do it for you or buy a simple tester. your gauge should read 14amps or just about there.if it reads less that is your first indicator of a bad alt.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

The guys at O'Rileys screwed you if they didn't check the alternator before selling you a battery. A quick charge and a battery/ alternator check would have Id'd the real problem...

Old 08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

He did test the battery and it showed as "bad battery"...It was time for a new one. Now had I been a little more aware I would have suggested doing the alternator check. So how difficult is it to replace the alternator if indeed that is the problem?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

replacing the alternator is a MAJOR PITA. More time consuming than anything else as you have to put the car in service position. When I did mine I just took the whole front end off. Made it easier. Did the timing belt and accessories while I was in there too. Took me about 20 hours but that is because I had to take it back apart a couple of times to put in the stuff I forgot (dipstick tube) and fix the stuff I installed incorrectly (thermostat). If I had to do it all again I estimate about 6 hours or so.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Its not an easy change but you dont need to put the front end into the service position. I just changed the alt on my daughters 02 2.7t a few months ago if you remove the lower intercooler tube annd wiggle the alt just right it will come out the bottom again its not easy but we had it changed in under three hours.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rocktbone
He did test the battery and it showed as "bad battery"...It was time for a new one. Now had I been a little more aware I would have suggested doing the alternator check. So how difficult is it to replace the alternator if indeed that is the problem?
A discharged battery will always test bad. That is why proper testing is done after charging. You need an alternator

Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

how much of a PITA is changing an alternator ? while your in there you may as well do the timing belt

BTw i think an earlier poster mean about 14volts not amps. just put a voltmeter across the terminal of the battery while the engine is idling . if it is less than bat voltage your screwed ,, but you guage in the car should ell you this ,,

Old 08-15-2010, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear

My alternator died (after hitting a pot hole) in 2006 and I could tell because it immediately went to 12 volts, down from 14+. I was told there are two different alternators for the A6, so check which one you have before buying. I was 160 miles from home so I left it with an Audi dealership -- they quoted me $1200 to replace the alternator but I convinced them I would provide the alternator (bought it online, refurb for $250) and it "only" cost me $500 labor at the dealer. I considered driving it home with a chase car that could give me jumps, but I did not think those would last very long and being stuck in the middle of no where was not attractive. Anyhow, the refurb alternator has worked fine for the last 98k miles.