Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal? 01 A6 2.7t w/86k for $9500?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Is this a good deal? 01 A6 2.7t w/86k for $9500?

Hey everyone (and anyone), can you tell me if the deal I'm looking at is a good one?

I've been looking for a solid used Audi 5-7 years old, 80,000+ miles as a good 3rd vehicle on wintery days and maybe a little modding fun.

Soooo, I found a white (Polar White I believe) 2001 Audi A6 2.7T with 86,xxx miles on it and it's pretty much immaculate for a 80k mile vehicle. Seriously, I've as picky as it comes with vehicles and I was prepared to convince myself that for nearly 90k miles I was going to have to live with some dings, dents, scratches or nuisances. Turned out that the heater makes a very very subtle squeaking noise on the "2nd" level, and that level alone and there is a tiny scratch on one of the rear wheels. Thats it. Otherwise, as good as new. I extended the rear ski bag (which is very cool) and I don't think it has EVER been used. Even the headlights look brand new... no hazing or pitting in the slightest. Windshield, flawless. I could go on.... I took it for a long cruise on snow packed streets (excellent handling on them, as I'm sure you all know), the suspension was a little rough, but held in the corners of a cloverleaf. The only concern I have is his understanding is that the time belt and water pump have not yet been changed. I understand this is a near mandatory servicing. Anyone know how much that costs?

It's loaded as far as I can tell. Power everything and heated seats, sun/moonroof, 17" 5 spoke wheels, leather (which is perfect), back up sensors, window shades, dual climate control, CD/Cassestte (cassette?... really? Come those have been dead for more than 5 years, but whatever), and brand new Mich. all season tires.

So apparently they've had it for like 59 days and they said it's going to auction this weekend (as all trade-ins do after being on the lot for 60 days) for a guaranteed $9500, so they said they would sell it to me for the same amount. So my question to you all officianadoes is... is that a good price for such a car? Oh and his understanding is that the time belt and water pump have not yet been changed. I understand this is a near mandatory servicing. Anyone know how much that costs?

Thats my schpeal. Sorry to bore you all, but I was just hoping that you might guide me on if this is a deal or not.

Cheers, JR

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear

Too much money I think. 8k would be a better deal when you consider that a timing belt job will cost 900-1400.00 dollars if you pay someone to do it. The control arms are probably original and so are the struts.

If you pay 9500 your not getting ripped off, but 9500 is way more than someone would pay at auction.

I should clarify, 9500.00 is too much for Minneapolis. I'm sure they cost more/less depending on where you live.

Last edited by Jeffla; 12-18-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, I got the 2 cars I've found confused, this one is an 03... sorry. What say you about the same schpeal above yet, 2 years newer?

I also found a dark blue 01 with everything as well, plus 18" BBS wheels, xenon lights, water pump/timing belt changed at 80k preventatively, with 108k miles currently. And it's been worshipped by it's currently (only) owner. He's at $8400 and I think I could get him to $8000 with his ski/bike rack.

What do you think? 03 for $9500 or 01 for $8400? Do either sound reasonable?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

That's a hard choice. Of course I would want the 03 just to have the newer car but the 01 is cheaper and already had the timing belt done.

If money was not an issue, I would choose the 03. If spending 1k in the first 1 year is an issue get the 01. Keep in mind that they both probably have original control arms and struts. But the 01 needs them sooner, I would say now.

The longevity of the turbos is another issue. It seems people are always complaining that they fail in the low 100k range. But this is also a car forum for people with car problems. So trying to determine their average life based on what you read here would be biased. Maybe most people have their turbos last till 200k. But add 3k if they do fail, so that is another + for the 03 because of the lower mileage.

The 03 will need a blower fan, mine makes the same squeak, it has been doing it for 2 years and I still don't' care.

Get the 03 9500 for an 03 is a great deal btw.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear

Add $$$ for eventual TC replacement, tranny servicing....

Old 12-18-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

hmmm... so the struts on the 03 probably will need replacement eventually, but honestly I think it rode fine. No floating or knocking. I can't quite figure out what kind of mileage this car has, I mean, 86k in 5 years is 17,200 a year, which isn't terribly minimal and it's looks brand new. I just wonder how it made it this far in life with virtually no signs of use. This one is for sale at a Ford Dealership so I'm not 100% comfortable that the inspection they did was as thorough as an Audi Dealership would be.

The 01 owner said he just had it all inspected by a local Audi dealership and they said the turbos, CV boots and radiator fan (apparently all need replacing at 100k usually), looked and operated as new.

I'm stumped. I'm paying cash so a $1000 left in the pocket would be nice on the 01, plus I have to pay the $500 dealer fee on the 03, which brings it to $10k even. So actually apples to apples, the 03 is $1500 more.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I would think it's safe to say that on any car, a whole slew of things could be on a recommended list of replacements, but what matters is how well the car was maintained up to that 100k point. So, it's really more of a guideline. And the information that the Ford dealer is giving you about the '03 is a typical sales tactic, surprise, surprise. It's a typical scare tactic to move a vehicle as quickly as they can. I worked for a Toyota dealer years ago, and the whole 60 days on the lot nonsense is just that, nonsense.
And yes, there is a lot to be said for a car that has had belts, etc replaced already, but the other side of the coin is you lose out on small improvements made over the years.
One more thing to consider is how quickly ANYbody can move ANY car right now. If you're serious, let 'em sweat until the end of December, when they are truly desperate to make a sale. And I agree with the other comment that there is now way that they'll be able to get $9,500 at auction.
Personally, I'd much rather pay the $8k for the '01.

Last edited by Taurean Bull; 12-18-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

I see your point. I talked to the dealer today (about the 03) and he said he "highly doubted" it would be there when I got back... which kind of made me think, "well, don't you know for sure if it will or won't be? If your taking it to auction, it won't be. If you don't it probably will be because it's been there for 2 months already and no one buys cars over christmas."

So, I also see what you mean about dealer "lines", and I think the best thing to take stock in is that the car has 86k miles on it and it looks nearly brand new. That leads me to believe it was extremely well taken care of should probably be a good car to go with. I'll sit it out until I come back on the 29th and see what they say. If it's still there, I'm sure they do just about anything to pad the year end sales line.

And the guy with the 01 actually is out of commission for a couple weeks as he just had surgery so he's going to call me after new years to talk about the car, but his sale of the car is temporarily suspended.

I guess I'll just enjoy the holiday and queue this back up on the 29th. Thanks to you all for your thoughts and have a Happy Holidays!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Default good price

02 A6 2.7 Tip with 91,000, very clean, with records and new wheels and tires. Price I paid was $7300. Could have paid less if I was to purchase at auction. Purchased in Oregon 12-17.

Last edited by Floyd B Turbo; 12-18-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

for comparisons sake, i just spent $8995 for my '00 A6 Quattro 2.7T/6-speed manual with 94k miles and documented TB replacement (as well as control arms) already done (have receipts). it is NICE too; the previous owner was literally in his 70s and meticulously maintained the car (i bought mine from a private seller). i think i got an alright deal. only like $130 below book BUT it's hard to find a 6-speed manual car and since i knew it was well taken car of and already had the TB done i went for it! even came with brand new tires literally 191 miles before i bought it (just last week). mine also has the ski bag which looks like it's never been used. i even found a cool Audi medical kit in the rear seat center console which has never been used (still sealed and everything is in German lol). i am the 3rd owner. NO rust anywhere, not even a ding. just a few scuffs here and there. heated seats front and rear, power moonroof, black leather interior, etc.

Last edited by twinturbosedan; 12-18-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? 01 A6 2.7t w/86k for $9500?