Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 2.7t A6 wich chip??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Got 2.7t A6 wich chip??????

Hey guys. Be honest with u, didnt do any research, just little here and there, simply dont have time so figure i will start new thread. Just got my A6, stock as far as i know. And i need to add some ***** to it, after all thats why i got 2.7t. After basic stuff like exhaust and intake, what alse add up noticeble power? I heard main thing is a chip and 2 main ones are APR and GIAK. Wich one will add more power with beeing some what safe? And wich one got that flip switch tune (91-93 or high octane and how high can i go?)? I heard just with the chip and race gas tune it may put down close to 300 hp to the wheels, true or false? Thanx for any input.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Got 2.7t A6 wich chip??????

The chips available for our 2.7T are pretty much the same as far as performance goes. GIAC and APR are the most common. I have had both. I prefer the APR for the more stock like drivability until you hit the gas pedal, plus I love the ability to change between programs thru your cruise control. The GIAC is a more aggressive program. Chips are the most bang for the buck in regards to power. I would change certain things before you chip because the factory components will fail on you due to the added boost from the turbo's. You will certainly want to change your TBB to a Samco, your DV's withBaileys, 710N's, Forge, APR or Hyperboost, either a drop in air filter (K&N or ITG) or a cold air intake. Also remember that chipping the car puts added stress on the turbo's, so drive easy on start up until the engine oil heats up (175 degress) and drive easy before shut down to start the cooling process. Use a high grade synthetic oil every 5,000 miles.....Elf, Amsoil, Pentosin, etc....I use Motul, love that motor oil! From there, you might want to upgrade your clutch/flywheel along with downpipes and catback exhaust, APR snub mount, the list goes on......

OOOO

Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

not 300 to the wheels but 300+ at the crank

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

It'll takea lot to get 300 at the wheels on these cars as it is fair to assume a 25% powerloss thru the drivetrain...

I personally like the APR chip as it is powerful yet smooth (good match for an A6, after all we're not driving jap econoboxes), plus it has several programs you can switch b/w using the cruise control. I even have the fault code eraser and throttle body alignment program.
As said above, you should definitely chnage the TBB with the Samco TBB or get the APR Bipipe. Also chnage the stock DVs to the 710N for the TT if you want to save $ (I think theyused to be$45-50?) or go for APR or Hyperboost. I've had both, really no difference on driving but the APR is maintenance free. 320 hp/380lbs Tq

next for performance, get the VAST Performance Piggy pipes for $350 + labor.
Third, is catback..
The above will put you at stage 2 +.. Maybe around 350ishHP and about 400Lbs Tq. car will hav emore low end grunt and less power drop off after 5k, which is the case wit the chip only.
Drop in filter is fine but really don't expect a diff.
Save your $ on CAI... not worth it on our car... you can use that $ for another mod.

I personally really liked the NewSouth Powergaskets, got more torque and alittle extra power, which I could feel.

Finally, I recently got the stage 2 Tip Chip fro VAST and am waiting for their stage 3 file. Should be in my mailbox when i return home. Anyway, they remove the TQ limiter and make adjustments that allow the car/tranny to make the most of your power and shift faster. You can actually tell the difference as oppposed to what I heard about the GIAC chip. My car feels like it HAS more power.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 PM

Good Response Gigi, You have been a big help for me and your advice is great! I have a local shop that will do custom piggies for $125, but the o2 sensors are not relocated so it will most likely throw a CEL. Does that fault code eraser fix that?

As for an air filter I added the K&N drop in and it was a PITA but no real power gains. I have noticed the turbo spool is a little more noticable and god I love that sound.

What is the Throttle Body allignment program?

Also I am thinking of putting 2.5" stainless cat-back straight back to new magnaflow mufflers (oval tips) How much should I expect to pay for that alone? I can't afford a Militech cat back or anything like that so a custom is all I can do!

Thanks in Advance

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

This is all really good advice for anyone who wants to mod the 2.7t such as myself. Im considering the APR over the GIAC. Sort of a newb question sorry, but whats a TBB? Im thinking it has to do with the timing belt? Where could I get the TT dv's?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Is there a potential problem with doing engine back upgrading with a biturbo motor? Do the stock DP's/Catback act as a bottleneck if the boost is increased via chipping? I wasnt sure if there were any backpressure related problems if you dont first change your exhaust setup.

I want the power, but i want a daily driver to hehe.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Throttle body Boot = TBB

Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Slum, Yes there is some, but not enough to cause problems. People have been getting piggies from VASTPERFORMANCE.com which is a gutted precat on the downpipe to allow more flow... I am actually geting this done fairly soon. I think this is one of thoes threads that should be stickied! I think we should do a common question thread ie. Chipping (upgrades w/ chipping)

Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Power wise you will see big gains with any chip I would stick with the big 3

APR
VAST
GIAC

deffinitly get the piggies I would not make them you self for several reasons

1 CEL
2 bad gas mileage due to a improper reading 2nd 02..the rear 02's control long term fuel adjustment.
3 they have made hundreds if not thousands of them. Better to pay a few dollars more and have a relationship with a respected tuner than to save a few dollars and not have a properly working part...The CEL gets old real quick

Deffinitly get the VAST TIP chip if you have a tip. other wise you are not getting full power out of the chip you choose.
The GIAC tip chip is not worth paying for. After I did mine a friend got all excited about the shifting and performance I got with my VAST tip chip. He got a GIAC one and to be honist I don't know how they charge money for that compaired to the VAST one

Also when you get the chip get the intake spacers deffinitly a great Idea

Quick Reply: Got 2.7t A6 wich chip??????