Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my APR flash!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear
Talking Got my APR flash!!!

Just thought I'd update: I just got back from getting the APR flash done on my car.
My TBB and DV's come in the mail tomorrow. I was actually in another shop to get my boost gauge installed, but the part didn't come in today, so I went to the other shop and had the ECU flashed instead.
Needless to say, that car pulls *much* harder!1 It actually puts me back in the seat now! Very worthwhile. I only got to open it up a few times, and did a 0-60 run, but for the most part stayed off it as I wasnt to get my supporting hardware in there.
It did only 1 funny thing:
It started fine when I left the shop, drove perfectly all the way home, then I stopped at the bank drive-thru. I cooled it down and then turned it off, but left the headlights on. About 4-5 min. later, I tried to turn the car back on and it wouldn't turn over, just kept trying and trying to start. I stopped, turned the lights off, then started it. It started this time, but the ABS and EPS lights were on, as well as PRNDS were all illuminated (selected) on the LCD dash display. The car was idling very roughly and felt like the trans completely slipped as I tried to pull away, so I eased it into the first available parking spot and turned it off. I re-started it and everything was fine, like it never happened.... I called the dealer and he said I shouldn't worry about it if it re-started fine, and that the ECU's going through a re-learning phase, and to leave in on in park for 10 min. when I got home.
After that episode, I made 3 more stops, and the car has re-started every time without any issue. I let it run for 10 min. in the drive way, stopped it, and started it, again, with no issue....
Has this happened to anyone else? Either way, it seems to be fine now...
Next week I'm going back to have the pre-cats gutted and the test pipe file burned on, and then after that, the TCU is off to VAST for the Tip Chip!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

yes it happens to those with tip tranny. Apr guy told me it is known bug for tip cars only and happens when after switching from stock to chip modes. Need to cycle key twice and all' s good.
Did you get both modes?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear

also could be a sporadic communication isssue win tcu. You need to check with vagcom for a potential soft code(sporadic).

Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
1st Gear

I only got the chip mode; no stock yet. But it did happen on the second key cycle and went away after that, 2nd day and so far, so good, no reoccurance. He did clear the codes with the VAG-COM after the flash, as he says the ECU throws all kinds of fault codes after the flash with a tip. But wouldn't even an intermittent code throw a light? Either way, I'll be going back there next week for the exhaust and he'll be re-flashing it to include the test-pipe file, so we'll chack and see if there are any new codes...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

no a sporadic dtc code on vag may not throw a cell. When I got the APR flash, I did not get all kinds of codes. Never heard of that either. Before he cleared the codes I wish he'd have given them to you. Have it scanned again BEFORE they so anything else to he car and get the codes then post them. I would also contact APR and ask their opinion.

Also, hanyone opened or pulled out your TCU lately? Mame sure it is installed correctly and there is no humidity. It'll only take you 30 minutes. You may have a sporadic tcu communication issue.
Brice

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

He said an APR tech advised him that the flash itself throws communication codes as soon as you do it(maybe just for the tip?), and the codes should be cleared as part of the flashing process. AKA, they weren't codes that were stored from before, but rather, were new codes because of the flash itself. They were all "missing signal" codes or something to that effect. The TCU hasn't been touched, ever, as far as I know. I'm not too concerned about it, as you mentioned the TIPS do something like that at first, and it hasn't acted up since.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

it is not normal and I think he is partly bs'ing you. You have one program and your issue is not when switching prgrms be first key cycle. You my have a TCU comm issue