Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting 2.8 30V 99 Avant

Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Hard starting 2.8 30V 99 Avant

It's my wifes car and it will start and run fine, but sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to actually fire up and run. It cranks fine, but sometimes (not always) seems to take too long. I'm sure this could eventually kill the starter and battery not to mentionthe annoyance factor.

Any suggestions on what to check? I already replaced the fuel pressure regulator and that didn't do the trick.

It's a '99 2.8 30V engine.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Default RE: Hard starting 2.8 30V 99 Avant

interesting so no CEL warning light?? is the battery terminal secure and the ground to the engine (whats the condition of the wires?? only other thing that springs to mind is the ignition switch which seems to be an issue on the newer cars due to poor quality materials used

Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

No CEL light. It seems to run fine once it starts. I haven't checked the fuel pressure. No black smoke when it does finally start up.
The wires may be original, but seem fine. I had an issue with leaking valve cover gaskets and replaced them. So far that seems to be doing fine.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM

My 99 A6 2.8 is doing the exact same thing... sounds like... Mine has a hard start after it has been running a while, not cold. Cold starts seem fine. Anyway, it was diagnosed today as a bad temperature control sensor. Now that I think of it, the temp gauge has been funny of late. That may do it...

Shockingly, the sensor is not too $$ ouchy.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Do you happen to know the part number, source and location on the engine?
Aren't there more than just one temperature sensor?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Anyone else have any suggestions on what it might be? I think the problem may be somewhere in the cold (choke cycle). It starts fine when it's hot, but as it cools off it usually takes extra cranking to start. I'm just not familar with everything involved in a cold start.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Scott, I have the same exact issue on my 99 A6 2.8. It start right up when recently shut off but on a cold start it cranks like a carburated engine... want's to start... starts to fire and then finally it starts. It will crank for like 4 or 5 seconds and start at best. When recently turned off it will start within 1-2 seconds. Did you ever find what the problem was.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Not yet, but I'm still trying to track it down.
I'm leaning toward a fuel problem such as a leaky injector (which were just profesionally cleaned at a FI shop) or the regulator (which is brand new). This is one of the classic symptoms of a bad regualtor, but I already bought a new one.

The car seems to run fine once it starts.
All the guages work, and the engine even has the proper fast idle when cold so it "knows" it's cold when it first starts up (i.e the temperature sensor is working). No codes.
A standard fuel pressure guage work work since there isn't a valve to attach it to ont he fuel rail.

It is really driving me nuts and I may bite the bullitt and take it to the shop.

Anyone else have an idea of what to try?

Old 07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Here is the best way I can describe the problem.
It's identical to the way the car starts after changing the fuel filter.

Sounds like a fuel problem right?

Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Agreed. Failed to mention I also have a leak of some kind in my emissions system, in the rear near my fuel tank. It humms nicely after shutting the car off. If I remove my fuel cap it relieves the pressure and stops. I want to test the fuel pressure regulator but I suspect the problem is the emissions leak. Strange though, I get no codes. I suppose I'll replace the regulator since it's inexpensive and along with it the vacuum lines near it. They are hardened and crumbling the outer protective layer. I'm stumped on how to troubleshoot the emissions leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard starting 2.8 30V 99 Avant