Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone thought about doing this?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
1st Gear
Default has anyone thought about doing this?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Lag_System

That's if it can be done or not.I would assume that it's going to costBIG $$$$$$

Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: has anyone thought about doing this?????

I wouldn't mess with that kinda stuff, WRC rally cars replace thier turbos almost every time after they complete a run.
I know the old super audi quattros used to have a little secret switch in them whichignited a spark plug right after the turbos which made themignite a flame right after the turbo to produce full boost the entire run, i think they used to use it for pikes peak. Burned the turbos right up in 5 minutes.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

If so worried about turbo lag, just do left foot braking to maintain boost, and you will "take off like a skyrocket", just like Hans Stuck

Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I wouldn't mess with that kinda stuff, WRC rally cars replace thier turbos almost every time after they complete a run.
I know the old super audi quattros used to have a little secret switch in them whichignited a spark plug right after the turbos which made themignite a flame right after the turbo to produce full boost the entire run, i think they used to use it for pikes peak. Burned the turbos right up in 5 minutes.
Nah, I wasn’t talking about doing a WRC setup, but something similar to it. The reason why I asked is because I’m thinking about getting a chip, so I’m just trying to get some general questions answered. This is my first turbo car, so I don’t really know that much about turbo's, other then they run off of the car’s exhaust. My other car was supercharged ( A 1999 Mazda Millenia S), so I never ran into lag issues.

If the chip produces more boost, would it produce a greater turbo lag as well, or would a BOV reduce the lag?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear

I don't believe there would be a noticable increase in lag. If I remember correctly from a long time ago when I owned Saabs, lag has more to do with the size of the turbo. In Saabs (9000k/900's) they used one large turbo to produce the extra power and it took 2-3 sec maybe to spool up. With Audi they use two smaller turbos that can spool up faster equalling one large turbo.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Site Moderator

Right, the size of the turbo determines the lag factor. For instance you could have the same turbo with a different housing, or different compressor size wheel.
Lets use a Garrett GT28RS, the turbo produces boost around 2500 RPM, where the GT2871R takes longer to boost from a larger housing but same size turbo, around 2800-3000 RPM.
On the up side of having a larger frame turbo you can get more power at the higher RPM band.
The stock k03's on the car will run out of juice at around 5000 RPM which is why the car will pull hard up until you hit around 4000 RPMand it seems the power falls flat on its face, even with a chip. A chipped A6 withK03 turbos will slightly hold boost longerthan a stock A6, but thats because of a timing increase in the chip.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

What are the Blow Off Valves designed to do……other then make noise when the gears change? I know that they are suppose toincrease the life span of the turbo by letting out the extra exhaust, but for performance purposes, what do they do.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Site Moderator

Well our cars don't have blow off valves, we have recirculation valves. It takes the excess pressure from the turbo when you let off the gas and re-directs it back into the intake to help keep the turbo spooled, a blow off valve vents this pressure to atmosphere. If you were to install a blow off valve on a 2.7T then it would most likely richen up the fuel system and throw a check engine light because the engine managementis designed to see that recirculated air.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Kool. So the lag is something that I have to get use too? Like I said before, I’m coming from a supercharged car, so the lag wasn’t a factor.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Site Moderator

LOL, a twin turbo V6 puts out enough torque that you wouldn't even notice the lag, if you have a 1.8T with a large turbo then lag would be an issue.
Even if you upgrade both of them to K04's there wouldn't be that much noticable lag, in fact you'll probably like it more thanthesupercharged car you had.

Quick Reply: has anyone thought about doing this?????