Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has my A6 been in an accdent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Default has my A6 been in an accdent?

Hi guys,

I need your help, today I had a friend of mine look at my car and he said that my hood was not the original on. he pointed to the 4 nuts that hold the hood on to the hinge the paint on them is scratched in a manor that suggests that they were undone at some point. Also a lack of some stickers that should apparently be on the under side of an original Audi hood and a row of what look like some kind of fastenings that should also not be there. Also on the driver's side headlight there is a little adjustment **** that is whiter than the one on the left headlight (ie it is less discolored by dirt).

However the paint does not look in any way miss matched between the hood, wings and the rest of the car. Also the title, Carfax and Auto check reports are clean and the auto check report was shown to me by the dealer I bought it from as proof as the cars accdent free status.

I am from the UK so dont know the American systems is there any way to check a cars history? (the original owners manual and service history were missing when I bought the car) ie any an accidents etc

Also I only bought the car about 9 months ago, do I have any legal recourse to go after the place I bought the car or car fax as i pulled the reports and registered for the buyback guarantee?

Thanks for any help in advance
James

Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

I bought my car with "no accidents" but a few belly scrapes later later I see my bumper used to be red

Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Haha that explains the red paint.

So maybe it hasn't been in an accident, but maybe the previous owner hit a re-tred or something on the highway and it damaged the hood and light. Nothing that would get documented, and nothing too major to be considered a full on accident.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

yeah, i mean a tree branch feel on mine and did minor damage haha

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

My car has a clean carfax, but I see the right rear panel and bumper look repainted.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

well the other thing that makes me think that it has been in a smash is that in order to keep the car driving straight down the road the steering wheel must the canted slightly to the left and if it is put straight then the car will vear to the right. I have had the car aligned and it still does this.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

um well, I have a different trunk and back bumper and the color is richer than the rest of the car.

Clean Carfax and AutoCheck.

I hate this world.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

Whoever did your alignment didn't do a good job or you have worn suspension parts. For all you know some of the stickers fell off, a rock broke the headlight requiring replacement and your friend is no forensic expert.

Or your car was in a horrific accident causing frame damage resulting in a car that will never track right and no one ever reported it to anyone. No insurance claim, police record.

Or maybe the car it a deer, needed a new hood/bumper/headlight and your alignment person either is not good at their job or you have worn parts.

There are too many possibilities to even consider legal action and getting all worked up. Take it to a good reputable body shop and have them look it over and tell you what they think has been done to the car. Go from there.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

Also take into account that a lot of roads are on an incline, sometimes a lot more than you realize - this would cause your car to vear slightly to the right. I can't assume it's that bad, right?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

Clean car fax, water spots in clear on front bumper and random glass bits inside the car. I think the glass came from hail though, there are spots where someone drilled holes in the bottom of the hood to remove damage. Drives perfect though and I sanded out the water spots so who cares, it drives perfect and now it looks it too. Car fax is kinda a joke, only gets the truth when the owners tell the truth.

Quick Reply: has my A6 been in an accdent?